Not sure I'm gonna have space issues this year in the smoker

Got this picture a few days ago from my smoker builder letting me know how things are coming along. Custom reverse flow cabinet build 36w x 30d x 60t on 1 foot risers. Excited to get this completed as it's going on a vending trailer my friend and I are remodeling and starting a business with doing catering and vending this year. This monster will hold approximately 60lbs of charcoal and wood and will hold 250/275 for 30+ hours straight.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Food trucks have become very popular around here. Downtown you see them all over the place during lunch. Some really good food comes from several of the trucks. Seems a much easier and less stressful way to start a business in the restaurant industry.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Food trucks have become very popular around here. Downtown you see them all over the place during lunch. Some really good food comes from several of the trucks. Seems a much easier and less stressful way to start a business in the restaurant industry.
    Startup is stressful for us, but we are behind due to adding a lot of things to our plate from what our first business plan detailed.

The big advantage is that your limited somewhat in what you can create yet you can do whatever you can dream up. We are focusing on product quality and limiting our creativeness to make it more of a special treat when we do offer something "out there" by today's standards.

4. Member
    Updated pictures

5. Member
    NICE!

I have dreamed of a "gravity fed" smoker for years now. Not that I'll ever see one @ $2500 or so but I know they'll make some killer Q!
    As it is, I'm either doing pellets in a Traeger, a Komodo, or wood chips in a big ol' 6 burner stainless gas grill. Only had a lil' electric smoker back when my daughter got married in 2013 and rather than go somewhere else, she asked me if I'd cook. Started prepping on Wed, pulled the last of 4 butts and 6 hens off Sat @ 5:30 with the wedding at 11:00. Everyone there wanted to know my 'secret'. Nope.... that's MY rub thank you very much!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DixieChicken View Post
    NICE!

I have dreamed of a "gravity fed" smoker for years now. Not that I'll ever see one @ $2500 or so but I know they'll make some killer Q!
    As it is, I'm either doing pellets in a Traeger, a Komodo, or wood chips in a big ol' 6 burner stainless gas grill. Only had a lil' electric smoker back when my daughter got married in 2013 and rather than go somewhere else, she asked me if I'd cook. Started prepping on Wed, pulled the last of 4 butts and 6 hens off Sat @ 5:30 with the wedding at 11:00. Everyone there wanted to know my 'secret'. Nope.... that's MY rub thank you very much!
    Sounds like what I did last year for my wedding, I did 147lbs of meat in a small vertical offset smoker over the course of 2 days straight, it's actually cooking for my wedding that set the ball rolling for my friend and myself starting this business.

Our business name is actually Gravity smokehouse and BBQ, not because of the smoker type but rather how my best friend and myself have always gravitated towards BBQ, how it's something that keeps us grounded and humble and brings people together. We have many tag lines we are having printed up for Tshirts that revolve around the company.

This one was definitely not cheap, but compared to other "brand name" smokers, we got about 2.5x the size for 90% of the cost of most places "big" cookers. Get that gravity model in the future, or look into these reverse flow offsets, they are somewhat cheaper compared to gravity fed and they really do cook nearly identical.

7. Member
    Good looking smoker for sure!!

8. Member
    How is it heated and how is the heat controlled. When my Masterbuilt dies I might consider building something. Wont be nearly that big though.

9. Member
    Im intersted also how the reverse flow works on that, i was looking at building one out of a commercial warmer sorta like that. And does it have a stack on it?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    How is it heated and how is the heat controlled. When my Masterbuilt dies I might consider building something. Wont be nearly that big though.
    Firebox is on the bottom where you see the red latch handle at, I've got a picture of the smoker box opened I will post in a second. Heat is controlled by a slide door which you can't see well because it's painted black. We have a guru fan system we are running on it so its more automated. One full basket of coal should last 30ish hours in this cooker, everything other than the front damper control has at least 2" of insulation.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    Im intersted also how the reverse flow works on that, i was looking at building one out of a commercial warmer sorta like that. And does it have a stack on it?
    Firebox heat rises up within the cabinet and smoke/heat enters at the top of the cook chamber, you can see in the interior picture a gap all the way around it. The stack hole is 2x2 tube that is open at the bottom of the box (you can see the expanded steel just above our drip diverter at the bottom in the pic we are standing next to it), air is drawn down to the stack opening and then rises leaving the back of the cooker.

I'll try to get better pictures of it this weekend and post the workings of them, they are super fuel efficient and hold temps like a dream. The builder's friend ran his small reverse cabinet in -5* weather this winter and it held 250 for 9 hours sitting outside.

12. Member
    Firebox photo