Steering for 1994 Sprint 286 Tournament Pro

Hey guys, hopefully someone here can help me out. I need to replace the dual rack and pinion steering cable in my boat (1994 Sprint 286 Tournament Pro) and I can't find the part number which shows the length of the one I'll need to buy. I know everyone is going to say to just go with Hydraulic, but the price range for that is out of the question right now, so I'm going to have to stick with the rack and pinion for now. So, does anyone here know the length of the new steering cable I need to get. Thanks
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The length of the cable is usually stamped on the big nut on the tilt tube. If you can't find it try this, measure from the center of the steering wheel over to the gunwale of the boat, then down to where the cable comes out of the hull, then to center of engine. If it comes out to half foot round off to the next foot.

3. Member
    The cables on my 98 286 pro are 15'. I'd recommend the NFB rack as well if you don't already have it. The kit I used was Teleflex SS15215 for about $450 but I had to replace my broken helm. I believe you can buy just the cables for around $250.