I realize the subject of Nav lights comes up here from time to time and then the proverbial discussion of Coast Guard Approved or not ensues. While I appreciate that conversation since I am by far NOT and expert on those laws and regulations........I have decided to add NAV lights to my Z520 and I will take my chances on the legality of that decision.

I purchased the bluewater rub rail light strips but I just can't quite bring myself to start cutting the rub rail up. I'll screw it up as sure as God made little green apples.....

So, plan B.....

I think I may purchase the lights that Ranger installs now which screw to the hull above the rub rail. I am not exited about drilling holes in my boat but I think these will be on there for the remainder of the boats life.....so me and 3M 4200 will give it a go. The questions I do have for those that have done this on a Z520.

1. How far back would these go measuring along the rub rail from the nose of the bow. I am thinking Ranger sets those so the angle (112 degrees I think) is correct so matching that distance should at least put them where they would come from the factory. Again, this is not a discussion of CG regs and what is and isn't legal and who can and can not modify a NAV light design. I simply want to know what it takes to match a new boat. I understand I am on my own from there.

2. Once the hole is drilled through the hull for the wires...how hard is it to get that wire back to the bow where I can tie it into the existing NAV light wires. I intent to leave the socket and carry the pole with me as a B/U.

Thanks for any help in advance.