Banned

Z518/118 Ultrex Heading Sensor Location

I was looking for a good spot to install the Ultrex heading sensor and was considering mounting it on the tool holder at the bow. The puck would cover the left pliers holder hole and the hole can be used for routing the cable. Anybody else installed theirs there?
    Last edited by psj706; 03-22-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psj706 View Post
    I was looking for a good spot to install the Ultrex heading sensor and was considering mounting it on the tool holder at the bow. The puck would cover the left pliers holder hole and the hole can be used for routing the cable. Anybody else installed theirs there?
    I also mounted mine on the plastic tool holder. I never used the holder anyways.

3. Member
    Get a cheap compass and check for electro-magnetic fields. That area was not good on my boat.

4. Member
    I mounted mine on the left side of my recessed tray and my power pole foot buttons on the right side without and issues whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    Get a cheap compass and check for electro-magnetic fields. That area was not good on my boat.
    there may be interference there, however this is only when the trolling motor is stowed. when the motor is deployed I did not have any interference. You can always mount it there with 3M tape and see how it works. if you need to move it play around with its location.

Here is where I mounted mine. I have Point 1 mounted the same place on the Starboard side. Got a 2013 Z-118

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

7. Member
    I installed mine on the front bow pad.... I did the investigation with the compass, with the Ultrex deployed and running, livewell running, lights on and front graph running, zero interference. I know this worked because if the compass is held near the motor head, the needle moves. Allows space on the left for one foot when raising TM, and allows space on the right (starboard) to step on/off boat.

Some day I will figure out how to attach a picture actual size instead of a thumbnail !!

SensorInstallr.jpg
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

8. Member
    Do any of you Z518/118 owners that installed the Ultrex use a cover. If so does it still fit or did you have to have it modified?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Do any of you Z518/118 owners that installed the Ultrex use a cover. If so does it still fit or did you have to have it modified?
    I have a 2015 Z118C with an Ultrex and I had to have Ranger alter my cover to fit. The Ultrex sits up off the deck higher than my Fortrex did, so it woudn't come down far enough for the cinch strap to catch below the rub-rail.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcorpst View Post
    I have a 2015 Z118C with an Ultrex and I had to have Ranger alter my cover to fit. The Ultrex sits up off the deck higher than my Fortrex did, so it woudn't come down far enough for the cinch strap to catch below the rub-rail.
    Thanks for the response. I just got a note from Ranger that my custom cover wont fit and they wont modify my cover if I send it back to them. So my option if I want the Ultrex is to buy a new cover from Ranger, or buy the Ultrex and try to find a place that will make the modification. If I find a place hopefully Ranger will salel me the material. Very disappointing Ranger customer service in my opinion.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 03-26-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjcorpst View Post
    Is this with the 45" or 52" ultrex?

12. Banned
    Are the cover fitment issues with both the flat and raised covers or just the flat?

I have a '15 118C. I installed my heading sensor on the bow pad ... right in the middle. I'd send a picture, but I've never been able to figure out how to easily put a picture on BBC. I have a 45" Ultrex and while the cover doesn't pull down under the rub rail it's very close...close enough to keep the rain out. I don't tow with my cover on so it doesn't bother me that the fit isn't perfect.

14. Member
    Are the cover fitment issues with both the flat and raised covers or just the flat?
    Also need to know if they're going from a 45" to 45" or 45" to 52".

15. Member
    I have an over the seat cover and they told me the 45 inch shaft Ultrex would not work with my cover.