Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury 150 xr4 with 175 powerhead buzzer issue

Hey all. I have a mercury black max either a 150 or 175(previous owner says rebuilt 175). Issue I’m having is can’t find a serial number anywhere it’s supoosed to be. Next when I turn the key to run it beeps 3 times and shuts off. When I start it it buzzes constant. I have smoke and all that at idle and it seems to run fine. I thought maybe the oil reserve on motor was low so I took the cap off and in the process broke it cause it separated while tightening down. While I’m replacing the cap I disconnected old wires and then turned the key and no sound. Hooked the black ground wire from whatever the piece is where the oil and fuel mix at and left the lid leads unplugged from cap and the noise came back. So I’m guessing it has to do with either air in the line or a sensor. Any help would be appreciated. By the way this sensor has two wires that go the black box on port side and the ground is the same location as the oil cap ground. I can’t find a way to load pictures but can email you some

2. Member
    air will not cause horn to sound,likly bad module ,or sensor
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    The 3 beeps when I turn ignition to on is normal right? The constant buzzer tone is not oil but temp buzzer correct? Also if I have a temp guage does the temp sensor technically need to be connected if that’s indeed what is making the noise? I ran it for maybe 30 seconds yesterday and there was enough blue smoke in the air it filed my garage so I take it it’s getting oil like needed

4. Member
    right, right,gage sensor shouldn't have anything to do with horn, disconnect sensor on stbd head that's one for overheat, could be bad
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Pulled number 4 plug and it was pretty black Looked to have gunk on it. I’m going to replace them and try running it Monday. Will post back

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't find ANY serial numbers?

Is the horn:

-SOLID BEEEEEEEEEEEEP
    -Four Beeps, Pause, Four Beeps
    -Fast Beeping?

Each has a different meaning...

I would not recommend running the engine again until you determine WHY this is occurring.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    It’s a fast beep beep beep beep I’ve looked everywhere for a damn serial number and I can’t find one I have heard you can find it under the lower cowling but I haven’t taken it off yet The frost plug just says 175. We just got 7” of snow here so I won’t be taking her out for awhile If you have any ideas where to start that would be great

Descibe like don posted. If there is a pause after four beeps, engine oil tank level is low or tank level sensor is stuck/bad.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

9. Member
    There is no pause. It’s just straight beep beep beep repeating itself non stop. I’ve pulled the oil pump and checked the gear That’s fine The oil reserve cap on motor cracked when I tightened it down. Replaced with a brand new one and problem still was there. I’ve tried disconnecting everything connected to the alarm module and still couldn’t get it to stop. All my oil lines are full along with tanks. Either the number 4 plug being black and cruddy was setting the alarm off it my module is bad is what I’m thinking.

Continuous beep is high temp. Pull temp sensor wire, if it stops, test sensor per manual. They are cheap if I remember right
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice talking with you today- you're definitely getting an Oil Pump Rotation Warning.

Be sure to post some pictures of the beast when you get a chance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Nice talking with you also. I will post some pictures here sometime in the next couple hours. I searched the motor over and over and plugs are bare except the one that says 175 and an aluminum one says void of removed. I did find a 0879 stamped on the block between the 2 heads on top??

Here you go

1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

14. Member
    Thank you very much

15. Member
    hey try this pull screws out of oil pump leave drive bushing in hole[don't lose oring] put a 15/16 socket on flywheel nut turn clockwise see if bushing turns, hold slight pressure on bushing so it don't come out when turning ,if it rotates you have elect problem, motion sensor or module, no rotate bad gear on crank good luck

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    hey try this pull screws out of oil pump leave drive bushing in hole[don't lose oring] put a 15/16 socket on flywheel nut turn clockwise see if bushing turns, hold slight pressure on bushing so it don't come out when turning ,if it rotates you have elect problem, motion sensor or module, no rotate bad gear on crank good luck
    Pay special attention to the RED BOLD TEXT. If you let that bushing slide out and turn the flywheel, you've probably compromised the DRIVE gear.

17. Member
    Will do guys. I’ve checked the gear before and all was good but will see if coupler spins

18. Member
    I removed plugs and checked the coupler rotation and then removed coupler and drive shaft to examine the gear and all seems fine. I took a picture of the gear but it’s pretty hard to see but all teeth seem to be there after 1 complete engine rotation

19. Member

The gear seems to look like it’s a spiral type gear and not a cog gear correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast