RT178 70HP Suzy DF70A 3x14x19 WOT 5400+- @ 36 MPH

Just looking for reassurance I am where I should be. Stock prop, all the same as when I purchased it. Mounted 2nd hole. Prop slip calc only shows about 4%. Figure I'm good just wondering if I should target a few hundred RPMs more on the top end or just call it good. Plenty happy with the hole shot so if there was potential for any kind of top end gain would be the only reason, performance wise, to change anything up.

2. Member
    You may get a good response to your questions in the tin boat forum. Lots of Ranger RT178 over there. I would say you are pretty close though. That is about where my Crestliner VT17 with a 75 Merc 4stroke would run.

3. Member

Yeah, I was back and forth on where to post. Props, Suzuki engine, Tin boats, etc.
    Last edited by Golfrnut; 03-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.

4. Member
    I had a deep vee Alumacraft with a Suzuki 90. The Suzuki motors are very torquey and will pull more prop than the calculations show, at least mine would. I tried going down in pitch to get a few more RPM s out of mine, went from a 19to a 17, both aluminum props. I should have gone the other way, it was faster with the 19 and would pop up on plan in a couple of seconds with either prop.

My new boat boat has a Mercury 4 Strike, it’s nice,, but not as good as that Suzuki.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I had a deep vee Alumacraft with a Suzuki 90. The Suzuki motors are very torquey and will pull more prop than the calculations show, at least mine would. I tried going down in pitch to get a few more RPM s out of mine, went from a 19to a 17, both aluminum props. I should have gone the other way, it was faster with the 19 and would pop up on plan in a couple of seconds with either prop.

My new boat boat has a Mercury 4 Strike, it’s nice,, but not as good as that Suzuki.
    Yeah, I know they geared them different(Suzzy's are 2.59 compared to 2.3s for many others). My fear is the same thing that happened to you. I have a 19, thought about going 17, but wondered if I might end up actually loosing horses depending on where the curve is. The other half of me said just try it and if it's the same or a smidge slower on the top end, I at least have a spare prop to keep for emergencies which is never a bad thing.

Helps to hear from someone that's already been there. Thanks!