Thread: Winnebago Chain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winnebago Chain

Will any of the lakes, Poygan, Winneconne, or Butte des Morts be open this weekend for fishing. The sattelite image shows they are breaking up, but can't really tell by how much. Its been a long winter and want to get the boat out. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Not sure on those but i know Little Butte Des Morts is open. Its always first.

Meh not yet. I'll probably still be ice fishing on poygan this Saturday and have the boat on little Butte Sunday for smallies.

4. Member
    the wait is almost over
    Outlaw Bass

I'm enjoying the week in Gulf Shores, Alabama and renting a house on the water is really giving me the itch to get the boat out.

Quote Originally Posted by mattg589 View Post
    I'm enjoying the week in Gulf Shores, Alabama and renting a house on the water is really giving me the itch to get the boat out.
    I was on gville for 10 days a few weeks ago bass fishing. That really made things tough to come back home to ice!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    I was on gville for 10 days a few weeks ago bass fishing. That really made things tough to come back home to ice!
    i used to live 35 minutes from goose pond,on the big G,that place will spoil you
    Outlaw Bass

Quote Originally Posted by kvdwannabe View Post
    i used to live 35 minutes from goose pond,on the big G,that place will spoil you
    Oh you had your fair share of fun! That place is simply just amazing and it all looks amazing which makes it tough lol we look at the bago system as being a large and intimidating body of water to fish but just go to gville and you're like oh this is a lot of great looking water.

9. Member
    Time to revive this thread. Plan on coming down next weekend to fish the chain. Is the ice completely off now?

10. Member
    Weather is shit, but lakes look pretty open from what I’ve seen. I figure I’ll put the boat in in the next week or so
    2019 19trx w/ 225 V8 Pro XS

The ice that is remaining will be gone by the weekend long as the weather holds. Fishing wise no promises on how good it will be.

12. Member
    Ice out, how do you guys go about attack the system? I'm guessing the water will be upper 30's low 40's at best.

I would check the forecast before heading out this weekend....rain, freezing rain, big snowstorms and 40 mph winds with waer temps in the high 30s may make for some less than favorable fishing conditions....
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

I came up to our cabin with the intention of bringing my boat home. Now I’m pretty much stuck here and there is no way I’ll attempt to bring it home through this blizzard. Apparently spring is not quite ready.

15. Member
    The ice that is remaining will be gone by the weekend long as the weather holds. Fishing wise no promises on how good it will be.

Gone by this weekend, huh? We've snowblowed the driveway 4 times since Friday night.

This sucks. Last I hard Boulder Junction still had 34" of ice on some lakes. I won't be able to get up there Musky fishing until probably June or July now. :(

Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Gone by this weekend, huh? We've snowblowed the driveway 4 times since Friday night.

This sucks. Last I hard Boulder Junction still had 34" of ice on some lakes. I won't be able to get up there Musky fishing until probably June or July now. :(
    I did say "long as the weather holds" lol

But I am also sure that is is ice free minus the slush from the snow. My guess for ice out up nort (Vilas and such) is May 8th for most or all lakes. That snow will melt fast and with the long days it doesn't take much to melt that much ice.

Wolf river has allegedly froze back over in spots with major ice flows in the "open" areas...calling for 5"-8" more snow possible tomorrow then 50 degree days this weekend!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

18. Member
    I did say "long as the weather holds" lol

But I am also sure that is is ice free minus the slush from the snow. My guess for ice out up nort (Vilas and such) is May 8th for most or all lakes. That snow will melt fast and with the long days it doesn't take much to melt that much ice.

May 8th is still too late for bass catch/release opener. That will suck.

But, I'm not entirely convinced that it'll all be out by the 8th anyway. Weather.com is only predicting 6 out of the next 15 nights above freezing... That's not very helpful since anything melted during the day (snow) will just freeze overnight and create new ice. Also, only 2 of those days have any rain predicted - one of those 2 days has freezing temps overnight, just freezing up that rain again - more new ice. :(

My personal prediction, cynical though it may be, since closer to mid-May. :(

Worse yet is with the late iceout, water temps will be borked and the early part of the season won't be very productive anyway.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    Wolf river has allegedly froze back over in spots with major ice flows in the "open" areas...calling for 5"-8" more snow possible tomorrow then 50 degree days this weekend!

Yeah, starting Saturday here Weather.com shows highs of 50 or better all the way out till May.

Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    May 8th is still too late for bass catch/release opener. That will suck.

But, I'm not entirely convinced that it'll all be out by the 8th anyway. Weather.com is only predicting 6 out of the next 15 nights above freezing... That's not very helpful since anything melted during the day (snow) will just freeze overnight and create new ice. Also, only 2 of those days have any rain predicted - one of those 2 days has freezing temps overnight, just freezing up that rain again - more new ice. :(

My personal prediction, cynical though it may be, since closer to mid-May. :(

Worse yet is with the late iceout, water temps will be borked and the early part of the season won't be very productive anyway.
    Stacked up fat prespawn fish is one of the best things ever! The bass are already shallow and grouped up by me in SE Wisconsin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast