Thread: Jerkbait set up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by NJFishinfreak View Post
    Jerry how is the quality of the New 2018 updated Endurance Series? As I'am tempted to pull the Trigger on one of them but I've never owned or fished with a Powell Rod before as I mostly use Dobyns Rods the last few yrs but I am deffinately open to other brands too if course but I like the Specs on those new Endurance and for the money they look good too!
    Very nice for the price. Have two and counting already.

I use the Powell 3D 6104CB for jerk baiting, but thinking of going to a 7ft graphite instead. I'm 6ft, rod is fine on length, but it's soft enough that I feel like I have to swing the rod a long way to impart action to the bait. The "CB" is also a little softer than a straight graphite rod. The rod I have my eye on is an Inferno, 7ft, medium action graphite.

This is just my take for me.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I was using a Dobyns 704 graphite rod which I really liked. I was told to try the 6104 and now the Dobyns feel heavy to me. I’m tall, but I’m seeing no issues losing the 2” of length. Looks like the Dobyns will be med crank bait rods now. I bought a 2nd 6104.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J at BAY View Post
    my question is what jerk baits or weight are you talking ab throwing? Dobyns 704cb champ xp graphite is the best jerk bait rod made hands down i own 6 of them and use them for 90% jerk baits and many other baits as well. I own the 705cb graphite and 705cb glass its to heavy for megabass 110 and smaller. 120 size and bigger a 705cb would be perfect. hope this helps
    Up here, when fishing for smallies, if I had to use a 704cb, I would quit throwing jerkbaits!
    These smallies, most of the time, like an aggressive cadence. That's why I like a fast action rod, because you NEED to make that lure do what you want it to with every snap of the rod. With a moderate action rod, you can't "translate" that snap to the jerkbait like you would be able to with a fast action rod.

4. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    The 704CB graphite has caught me a bunch of smallies. The 704CB glass is way to tippy so on that I’ll agree. The Endurance 6104 is definitely a better tip and is lighter.

5. Member
    Since I live among some of the best stickbait fisherman on the planet I can give a few to look at.
    The Falcon weightless worm rod makes a great stickbait rod as well as the old Cara jerkbait rod.
    Personally I like the SC topwater rod. I have the LTB version and I think the tip is better on it than the model labeled jerkbait rod.
    My current fav is the Witch Doctor Surman 50G.. I fish the 6ft 10MH . Its perfect for the Vision 110 , 110 plus , Mc stick ect.
    It's a blended blank and you wont find a cleaner build. When it's time to put the stickbaits up it makes a outstanding spinnerbait or swimjig rod.

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by NJFishinfreak View Post
    Jerry how is the quality of the New 2018 updated Endurance Series? As I'am tempted to pull the Trigger on one of them but I've never owned or fished with a Powell Rod before as I mostly use Dobyns Rods the last few yrs but I am deffinately open to other brands too if course but I like the Specs on those new Endurance and for the money they look good too!
    I have a bunch of the new Endurance including the 6104cb and use it for jerkbaits. Quality is good for the price of the rods. The 6104 is nice, really light and easy to fish. If I had one criticism is the tip could be a "little" faster for jerkbaiting. I feel like that would impart a little more action into the bait.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12