Thread: Boat Limits

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Hill View Post
    Recently captioned a HS 380 boat tournament on a 18000 acre lake. In all my years of boating and tournament experience it was one of the best and safest events I can recall. However, 380 boats is too many imo. Apparently these are State wide invitations thus the big turnout. Perhaps they should be divided up into Regions. Regardless in the event of an accident those years of experience also tell me the crap will hit the fan when a TD/Organization/Sponsor/Permitting Body has to give an account for a worse case scenario. Pray this doesn't happen.Organizers need to come together and find a resolution. Just wish they had this when I was in HS.
    Was at this one and others in the PBC trail... So far n less than 325 boats Some lakes are really small too ... While it was ran safely, I feel there needs to be regions then compete for championship

2. Member
    The primary driver is MONEY, all else is secondary to that end.

3. Ken Braun
    I agree, they need to limit tourney period the fishing pressure is becoming unbelievable on most lakes. Everyday fishing ,Regulars tourneys ,Big Bass ,college and now high school, really! The only reason the college and high school get support from the fishing industries, is marketing, they could careless about the students or the conservation or public pressure, they just see future customers for the next 30 yrs. They throw a few rods and reels at them and tell everyone how much there doing for the kids. Bullsh%t. The amount of money they put in to conservation or the kids is minimal. The only thing they spend money on is development, to bring out a new product of us to buy. Oh its works, Less 1 percent of college athletes in all college sports make to the Pros. What do you think it is in fishing? If they want to learn how to market themselves read the book in school. For the amount of money it cost to go fishing for anyone especially parents funding fishing trip, put that money toward there education, not another fishing tourney. What happened to fishing for fun. Everything is about the dollar. Fish a no entry fee tourney no prize just bragging rights , how many would fish. IMHO.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slaunch View Post
    Not that someone 21 couldn't still be an idiot but my point was that most of the boats have one of the kids' parents operating the boat.
    I don't agree with the original poster on limiting boat numbers, but some of the stupidest and unsafe driving I ever saw from a fellow "adult" during a Junior Bassmaster Event (what it was called before HS fishing). I still get pissed when thinking about it, such a bad example for the young anglers. Long story short, he passed so close to my boat that we were soaked from head to toe from his rooster tail.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

5. Member
    They need to limit the entries and load the lake with marshalls to keep an eye on things. I made the mistake of not checking the event calendar last year and was on the chick when they had a hs tournament. I think it was around 300 boats and it was an absolute mad house. Boats running absolutely everywhere. It was like the 4th of july except it was all bass boats. You think tournament fishermen are bad about cutting you off and fishing on top of you, its 10 times worse when daddy is driving kids around. They seem to think you'll move out of their way because there are kids in the boat. The amount of bent pole pattern fishing and holesitting was ridiculous.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAMVET1968 View Post
    must be in Rangers !
    CO has a 40mph statewide speed limit. The two bass boats for sale here? Ranger and Nitro.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Braun View Post
    I agree, they need to limit tourney period the fishing pressure is becoming unbelievable on most lakes. Everyday fishing ,Regulars tourneys ,Big Bass ,college and now high school, really! The only reason the college and high school get support from the fishing industries, is marketing, they could careless about the students or the conservation or public pressure, they just see future customers for the next 30 yrs. They throw a few rods and reels at them and tell everyone how much there doing for the kids. Bullsh%t. The amount of money they put in to conservation or the kids is minimal. The only thing they spend money on is development, to bring out a new product of us to buy. Oh its works, Less 1 percent of college athletes in all college sports make to the Pros. What do you think it is in fishing? If they want to learn how to market themselves read the book in school. For the amount of money it cost to go fishing for anyone especially parents funding fishing trip, put that money toward there education, not another fishing tourney. What happened to fishing for fun. Everything is about the dollar. Fish a no entry fee tourney no prize just bragging rights , how many would fish. IMHO.
    Most sports/activities for kids are the exact same way. This is nothing new. Companies are in business to make money.

8. Member
    As a boat captain for the last two years for a high school team, I am all for limiting the size of tourneys. I believe it is out of control. We NEVER fish a tournament that is under 225 boats, and we have fished in one that was over 350. I said never again on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by La Boy View Post
    I think so but you do realize a lot of states 17 years old is considered an adult. So a lot of these high school kids are adults.
    The kids can't drive here in Indiana.....has to be the boat captain (owner of the boat)
    At least we had 1987....

I think at some point with the way these things are growing that the reality will be not EVERY kid will get to fish EVERY event. There will have to be a qualification process or team "tryouts" like other sports/activities. I support HS and have donated to the cause as I think its a good idea but at some point I hope they can get it a bit more organized and streamlined. The education process in regards to some captains is an issue too. Their hearts are in the right place in wanting to help but many lack the experience to pass on good habits to the young folks they are taking out.
    Its all still evolving and I have faith it will be much better going forward.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greeneb View Post
    As a boat captain for the last two years for a high school team, I am all for limiting the size of tourneys. I believe it is out of control. We NEVER fish a tournament that is under 225 boats, and we have fished in one that was over 350. I said never again on that one.
    The one this weekend on Lay Lake that we are fishing is apparently going to have 350 or more. I have been fishing tournaments my entire life, and the biggest I have ever fished myself was maybe 250. On lakes like Center Hill and Dale Hollow, you can run anywhere and usually be in 20'-100' of water. But running space is limited on a lake like Lay.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by greeneb View Post
    Where the heck do people park?
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    Most likely using the new Lexvus.

14. Member
    I won't judge you, to each his own...
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I would rather have Baseball dad's then Hockey moms.........

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDD22 View Post
    The trail the boys I captain fish is a trailering trail for every tourney. Spreads em out a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123