Why Did You Choose Garmin?

I currently run all Humminbird , but I am redoing my small boat and planning on buying a new bass boat this fall so I have a couple opportunities to start over with electronics. I have researched quite a bit and have tried to compare all the features of the various brands. The thing I am most interested in is Panoptix and really not buying a new lakemaster card for every area I fish .

Why did you choose Garmin over the other brands?

I am looking at starting with Striker Plus 7SV and a 7CV on my 16' tine boat.

Because I’ve had Lowrance and Bird. Garmin offers a much better value. HB would be my second choice. Panoptics has no equal.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Because I’ve had Lowrance and Bird. Garmin offers a much better value. HB would be my second choice. Panoptics has no equal.
    Same here

4. Member
    For several years I use all kinds of Hbird units but went to Lowrance because of the 2d. I got an HDS 10,8 and 5. I thought the 2d was better and that the settings offered more control in situations where I wanted to use mulitple units. Three years ago I bought a 7610xsv for the same reason. I also wanted powerful side and down sonar to see deep suspended walleye. The GT51 fit that. I'm happy to say that I was able to do exactly what I wanted to do with this combination. Panoptix was just blind dumb luck for me. At the time I thought it was more fluff than substance. Was I ever wrong. Now Panoptix is at the top of my list. In searching for fish the PS30 displayed with SideVu under it does more than I imagined. I can search large areas fast. Then when it's time to settle in and fish The PS22 and 2d take over.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    just got a garmin. haven't been able to figure out all the features yet. the panoptix is jsut a dream now, lol. maybe one day i will be able to get it. wanting to get another one to link with the console garmin right now. so far i love it. great value too.

6. Member
    Thank you all for your input, definitely helpful!

7. Member
    Mapping was the #1 reason for me. Garmin has my area lakes (Hot Springs, AR) mapped the best of any of the big three. Up until last year Humminbird didn't map the biggest lake in the state (Ouachita) at all.

Then I got a small striker unit with chirp sonar for my kayak and have been impressed with it.

I currently have a Echomap Plus 9sv on my boat, and a Striker 4 on my Kayak. Very happy with both units.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Panoptix is all I use Garmin for. I dont use mapping. 2d is very good. Di and Si are poor.

9. Member
    Bought a Echo Map 73sv last year and not a lot that needs adjusting. Nice simple operation out of the box. In fact I bought a 94sv this year. Not saying they can't be tweaked, just saying they work good the way they are set up.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Panoptix is all I use Garmin for. I dont use mapping. 2d is very good. Di and Si are poor.
    We will be installing a UHD unit next week. I’ll let you know how it fairs.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

11. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    We will be installing a UHD unit next week. I’ll let you know how it fairs.
    How are you getting one so soon? I thought they were not going to be released for sale, for 5 to 8 weeks?

12. Member
    panoptix................is why......and as I use my garmin stuff more........like the reasonable price transducers available as a option to fine tune my system....will I dump Lowrances for 2d in the near future...doubt...or my Hummingbird for lake master doubt that also

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    In searching for fish the PS30 displayed with SideVu under it does more than I imagined. I can search large areas fast.
    Thanks again, LW.

I am wondering what setting (angle width, down/forward?, etc) of PS30 do you use for searching fish? Do you fix the PS30 downview on transom? Angle width, etc?

How about using ps22 instead of using PS30 on transom. Any pros and cons in your view?

I know ps22 is 20 degree and ps30 provide different angles.

I am ready to get PS22 and Echomap 9X plus and would like to learn more about what PS30 can provide more than PS22 (less than 30 FOW).

~~~~~

Back to the topic.

About 4 years ago I moved to Canada. I started learning bass fishing. Only for fun, not tournament. At that time I had no idea about other brands (Lowrance, Humminbird or others) and my friends mostly talked about either Lowrance or Humminbird fishfinders. With little knowledge about fish finder, I had no doubt buying my first fishfinder, a Garmin Echo 551DV (down view only, no map). Why? I trust Garmin because of the experiences (mainly 2 car navigators, a dash camera). Reliable, never failed, constant free software update and excellent customer services.

I mount the fishfinder on transom and I was not happy with it because I learned that the images on the display are always "history". What?! Once I saw the fish signal, it means "now" the fish is right behind the boat and getting away from me! I will have to cast the lure behind the boat and try my luck to get it. No fun at all! I have control the boat forward and fish backward?! That's nonsense.

For this reason I seldom used my Garmin, except only "playing with it for fun". Sometimes I tilted up the transducer to a certain angle to see if I could spot a fish signal far away the boat. Well, not much luck, of course.

When doing this kind of dumb action I was always thinking, why these manufacturers could not produce something more "look to the future"? Is it so difficult to do so? The boat is heading forward and I have to look back when fishing?! Therefore, I did not use my fish finder much, and did not upgrade my fish finder to higher models (e.g., side imaging...). Instead, I bought a Garmin GPSMAP 78s. I use Google Earth and Navionics (web version) to identify the spots on the lakes I want to fish at home, and then send these spots to my GPSMAP 78s. I learned how to transfer waypoints between them (using Garmin BaseCamp, Garmin Homeport, Garmin Express). It's not satisfactory as the display of GPSMAP 78s is too small viewing on the water, and my fishfinder has no map. However, it is definitely more fun to play with, at least to me.

Then last year I noticed that there is "panoptix" (forward real-time view!) available! It's exactly what I want and the price is acceptable! Then I learned that Garmin has "QuickDraw", another good tool as the lake I fish has no contour. The fact is in 2015 I bought GARMIN BLUECHART G2 HXCA015R CANADA G2 MICROSD & SD and it just a waste of money. No contour for the lake I fish.

Anyway, these 2 things (panoptix and QuickDraw) made me ready to pull the trigger no later than next month (still looking for a good deal in Canada). I will get PS22 (forward view) and Echomap 9X plus (for mapping).

I have little knowledge about other companies such as Lowrance, Humminbird. It seems they do not have any product similar to Panoptix yet.

~~~~

Then I learned that Garmin acquired Navionics last year and Trigentic (a provider of intelligent products in sweden) this year. According to the Internet The acquisition of Trigentic will allow Garmin to more completely serve marine and RV OEMs with a complete suite of multi-function displays, components, and the backbone that enables digital controls and smart boat features,」 said Cliff Pemble, Garmin president and CEO. " (https://sweetcode.io/garmin-acquires-trigentic/)

Anyway, it seems we will see something good going to happen, hopefully soon..... And Yes! Garmin has just released "Ultra High-Definition Scanning Sonar System", another "Mega" imaging. It seems Humminbird was the first to have "Mega" imaging fish finder (correct me if I am wrong).

Another issue is price. it seems Garmin offers a more reasonable price, compared with other similar products provided by other companies.

I have no idea why in Canada I can't see Garmin fishfinders, especially high end products widely available in outdoor shops (e.g., "Sail Outdoor", "Cabela's" and fish tackle shops). I can see lots of Lowrance and Humminbird, but only few or even none of Garmin. What a pity.
    Last edited by bassun; 03-24-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: link not correct

14. Member
    EchoMap Plus series for ease of use.

15. Member
    I liked the mapping, panoptix, Di and SI. Changed settings a bunch then did a 'reset' and other than color it has pretty much stayed that way. The only thing that was a compromise is my MinnKota Terrova does not talk to Garmin. The remote works excellent or it would have been more of an issue.
    I was surprised (as was stated earlier) that I use the SI and Di more than I thought I would. Usually a split screen (10") with chart, panoptix looking forward and either SI (most of the time) or DI. It can be frustrating that you can see the fish real time but they are not biting. Particularly when I change up multiple rigs and setups and still nothing. Sometimes they are just not biting.

16. Member
    Got a 73sv. Great price, great features, very intuitive, ability to add Panoptix.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....