Thread: 89 Bass cat

89 Bass cat

I posted in the merc forum also.

My Uncle has a 1989 bass cat Pantera II that has a Mercury black Max 200. Lately the boat will not Go over 2000 RPM's. The shop did compression numbers and they all looked good. They replaced the statter (I think that's what's it's called) And said he was good to go

Well the boat is doing the EXACT same thing. This all start ed when the shop Convinced him that he had the wrong prop on and sold him a new one. They sold him a 4 glad 24 pitch no name brad prop could that be the problem?

What prop would Suit this boat

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

2. Member
    Might want to post this in the Mercury forum.

3. Member
    I run a similar boat and run a 24P fury 3 blade.

Andy,

What speeds are u getting

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned, also check the fuel lines for ethanol deteriation.

It's has 3 new carbs on it.. as far as the fuel lines I have no Idea.

7. Member
    I had a very similar set up such as you described, mine was a 91 P II. I had problems with mine, just as you describe, also after a prop change. In my case, my rig was kind of picky about what prop would do the job. I can't recall the prop I found that would perform, but it did take some trial and error before I hit on the right one. The original prop was a Predator, but they were no longer in business, so I had to find another prop after that one slung a blade. I do remember ventilation was very crucial, and that Predator had a small hub. Just something to consider.

8. Member
    Several years ago I had a 89 Caracal with a 135 Mariner that was giving the same problems. After having the carbs cleaned, changing switch boxes and stater, I pulled the carbs and found a gasket installed backwards. I found this by looking at the burn patterns on the plug to find a problem cylinder. Your problem could be from gas, carbs, etc. , but could also be electrical. Start pulling plugs to see if all the cylinders are getting the right mix of gas. Also, a bad switch box will take out a cylinder under a load, but then run OK on top end. I know that from experience on the 135 also.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]