Thread: Pro Angler rods

Pro Angler rods

Been looking for a new Crappie rod and with all of the good reviews decided on the Pro Anlger crappie Rod.

Tried to order through their website but get an error trying to pay for the item.

Clicked on their homepage and get 404 page not found error .

Is this company still in business ?

Thanks for any information .

2. Member
    tried a couple more times and it went through. must be an issue with one their pages when doing a Google search. guess we will see if they got the order.

Its Texas...internet down here can be pitiful at best. They charge the same amount for DSL down here as high speed cable cost me in Tulsa. Don't seem to be in any hurry to upgrade their equipment either.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Give us a review of the rod after some use. I have heard good things about them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Its Texas...internet down here can be pitiful at best. They charge the same amount for DSL down here as high speed cable cost me in Tulsa. Don't seem to be in any hurry to upgrade their equipment either.

Sorry to hear that the internet is so slow in your area .

With technology today we should be able to get you high speed internet at a reasonable cost.

I did get confirmation email back that the order is in and rod should be here early next week .

Most of the lakes are ice free as of last week so I will be looking to get out and try the new rod soon.

Will leave a review of it for sure as I have only heard good things about them.

Lots of folks here in Tx use ProAnglers and really like them. I've had a few and have no complaints. Check the Texas Fishing Forum. Lots of talk on them there.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Member
    the rod did indeed show up today .

Have to admit I was not happy with the action on it, to be honest it is more like a bass fishing rod then a Crappie rod .

Comparing it to one of my medium action spinning rods that I use for bass, the action is identical and feels just like it .

On the Pro Angler website site the 4.5ft and 8 ft rods both show a rated line weight of 2- 10 lb test .

The 6.5 rod did not have a picture of the line or lure weight rating, it ended up being rated 2-20 lb test.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Give us a review of the rod after some use. I have heard good things about them.

I have two 8 foot Pro Angler crappie rods and have been using them a couple of years. I like the action in them and the balance.
    BUT, they have extremely brittle tips. I replaced two end sections that you can buy on their website. Now one of them has broken. Always within the last 4 inches of the tip. I do not abuse them. I will use the remaining one until it breaks and then I am done with them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    I have two 8 foot Pro Angler crappie rods and have been using them a couple of years. I like the action in them and the balance.
    BUT, they have extremely brittle tips. I replaced two end sections that you can buy on their website. Now one of them has broken. Always within the last 4 inches of the tip. I do not abuse them. I will use the remaining one until it breaks and then I am done with them.
    Before you write them off, i would put a 90 degree bend in the rod and take a look at the angles out there where they are breaking. It may possibly just be the guides are set up wrong to protect the blank. I've done quite a few of these for guys who buy off the shelf rods. Should be a smooth arc of line where the last few guides are placed, no sharp angles. It is an easy fix if your handy with guide wrapping and finishing. Just a suggestion if you like the rods other than that. I'm surprised the company doesn't replace the tips for you. Not sure what that particular rod costs but many manufacturers warranty things like that.

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    Thanks for your review

11. Member
    I paid $48.00 each and a replacement end section cost me $19.00. The tip is 4 inches long that breaks off. right in front of the second guide. There is absolutely no bend-ability in that part of the tip. I took one of those pieces and broke it in half after it happened the second time. It was like breaking a glass straw. That was my experience with them. I'm sure there are thousands of those rods in use giving year after year of dependable service. Maybe I just got some defective ones somehow.
    I just ordered two 8 ft. Mr. Crappie Wally Marshall Signature Series rods from Cabela's. Free shipping to !

12. Member
    I ended up going with an Okuma 6ft 6 in ultralight and could not be happier with the feel and action on that rod. the bend profile as mentioned here has a nice c curve not just a small portion of the tip bending .

Not sure what will happen to the pro angler rod, lesson learned see the rod in person if I have not had one in my hands already .

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatstick View Post
    I ended up going with an Okuma 6ft 6 in ultralight and could not be happier with the feel and action on that rod. the bend profile as mentioned here has a nice c curve not just a small portion of the tip bending .

Not sure what will happen to the pro angler rod, lesson learned see the rod in person if I have not had one in my hands already .
    is it the Celillo? Okuma makes a fine rod for the money. I own several.

14. Member

Good deal!

15. Member
    is it the Celillo? Okuma makes a fine rod for the money. I own several.

Will have to check on which model it is .

Was doing some running around the other day and figured i would stop in the newest Field and Stream store in my area ( first time in there )

Looking through the rod section and figured I would check out the Okuma section as I had seen the good reviews for them here .

picked up the rods and they were light and the correct action .

I have used an Okuma ultralight reel for years and it has served me very well .

16. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Will have to check on which model it is .

Was doing some running around the other day and figured i would stop in the newest Field and Stream store in my area ( first time in there )

Looking through the rod section and figured I would check out the Okuma section as I had seen the good reviews for them here .

picked up the rods and they were light and the correct action .

I have used an Okuma ultralight reel for years and it has served me very well .
    Man im telling you, if all my okuma rods broke today I couldnt complain with the number of fish I have caught. I fish Falcon rods as well and although they are my favorite those okumas are excellent for the money. I bought my dad and father in law an okuma rig as well.

17. Member
    Man im telling you, if all my okuma rods broke today I couldnt complain with the number of fish I have caught. I fish Falcon rods as well and although they are my favorite those okumas are excellent for the money. I bought my dad and father in law an okuma rig as well.

Thanks for the reviews you have had with their rods , know the reel I have has been fantastic for the price.

Have caught Smallmouth up to 3 lbs and Largemouth up to 4.5lbs ( fishing for Crappie we do get a lot of other fish to bite on the little jigs and minnows )that little reel and the drag is superb

Checked the model on the rod and it turns out it is the SST ultralight series made for trout .

Just need a break in the weather as we just had a few more inches of snow a couple days ago and maybe some more later this week .

18. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Thanks for the reviews you have had with their rods , know the reel I have has been fantastic for the price.

Have caught Smallmouth up to 3 lbs and Largemouth up to 4.5lbs ( fishing for Crappie we do get a lot of other fish to bite on the little jigs and minnows )that little reel and the drag is superb

Checked the model on the rod and it turns out it is the SST ultralight series made for trout .

Just need a break in the weather as we just had a few more inches of snow a couple days ago and maybe some more later this week .
    Give us fish review once you get out!