Question for crankbait painters.

Starting off the new adventure of painting crankbaits. Was wondering what ratio of reducer to paint do you guys use?

2. Member
    This depends a lot on the paint you are starting with, but the best description I have heard is you want it to resemble whole milk. I use createx paints which are already pretty thin. Some of them shoot fine without dilution and some need diluted, a couple of drops in a paint cup full does the trick if I am lazy, or a 50/50 mixture of future floor polish and water dropped into the bottle a handful at a time until it sprays well.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

I like to spray mine the consistancy of milk as well... don't really have a exact science I just take paint+reducer until I have the consitancy I like.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

4. Member
    what do you use for reducer?

Depends on so many variables. Brand, color, gun, etc. Trial and error. But I'd use wicked high performance reducer for all water paint

Quote Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post
    Depends on so many variables. Brand, color, gun, etc. Trial and error. But I'd use wicked high performance reducer for all water paint
    This is what I use as well
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

7. Member
    water, or water and future mixed 50/50. Should have been more clear up above.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    The best description that I've seen/heard is to thin until it is the consistency of milk, or it is watery BUT can still coat the sides of your color cup when you swirl it around. If you can see the color cup thru the paint, you've gone too far. Takes a bit of practice. Most people eyeball it and adjust the psi to get a good spray.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin