Time to re-string ...

I don't go under 10 lb line for crankin' rod. I re-tie often. 12 lb on spinner baits. Typically, on flipping and pitchin' rods 14 -17 lb. I almost never break-off. In the past, I threw heavy lines on the flippin' stick - jig rods ... but have been comfortable with 17. I don't use braid -can't get used to it = but, I'll try it again... but what size?

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    I use 30# braid on my standard flipping rig which I use 90% of the time I flip, if the water is clear I switch to 17# fluorocarbon which is the other 10% of the time of my typical flipping. I like the braid because it's not as wirey and has the higher breaking strength. I also have a rig with 65# I use if I get into some really nasty cover or punching mats. When tying the braid I use a double Palomar knot, to me it seemed like I was getting some slip when using other knots. Just my opinion.
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bison2312 View Post
    I use 30# braid on my standard flipping rig which I use 90% of the time I flip, if the water is clear I switch to 17# fluorocarbon which is the other 10% of the time of my typical flipping. I like the braid because it's not as wirey and has the higher breaking strength. I also have a rig with 65# I use if I get into some really nasty cover or punching mats. When tying the braid I use a double Palomar knot, to me it seemed like I was getting some slip when using other knots. Just my opinion.
    Could've written that post myself, lol

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

I always used 65lb braid for my frog rods and for flipp'n grass in the past, but I dropped down to 50lb last year and I'm a lot happier with the 50. It casts better and I never had any issues with breakage. I use 30 lb braid on my topwater rods with the exception of my buzzbait rod which is always spooled with 17 lb mono.

5. Member
    Loaded 17# basspro mono yesterday caught a 39# flathead on a Hopkins shorty today it held up great cheap too

I have used Excel for years - and it works for me. I've tried all of the major brands and honestly, if you check your line for nicks often - you will not break off except in extreme circumstances - or a if toothy one gets your bait. Excel is stretchy but that the only complaint I have with it.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200