Unusual setup suggestion

Hi there,
    I'm an Italian guy who goes fishin' in the Adriatic sea.
    The area that I usually cover has depth that flows from very shallow (2 meters= 7/5 ft) to 15 meters (49 ft). Let's say that the average depth is about 10/11 meters (33-36 ft).

Recently I've discovered this brand new world of AutoChart/Quick Draw Contour function that many devices can do.
    I'm amazed and got the crazy idea of "bottom mapping" two bays I love to fish on. .

First of all let's say that the crazy idea is related to the fact that I would do this using a sort of belly boat (many reasons for that, but that's not the topic). Therefore the setup should be quite compact.

Going back to the bottom mapping, my primary concern is: can I show them on a desktop computer for further study? (Guess what? I would love to make a paper printout of these two bays!! Obviously after a post-processing work)

Let's say I would go for a Humminbird Helix 5 G2 CHIRP Eco/Gps, apart the device and the transducer (would love the tripleshot for side view, but a little out of my budget which is sold €653 the 200Khz+SI transducer, or €503 the 200Khz+DI transducer) what else IS actually needed ? Jus a Zero Line Sd card or something else?

Another option I could consider here in Italy are the Garmin Striker Plus (both 4cv for about €270 and 5 cv €420,00) since here are both sold bundled with the GT20-TM transducer. So it should better perform than the CV20-TM sold in the US for downimaging, am I wrong?. Of course the sideview option is out of my budget in this case because it would imply to buy the 7cv with GT52HW-TM and it would costs about 700€ here, not to mention the device size itself that is not suitable for my setup.

Goin back to Garmin's bottom contours drawing function, for what I've understood the "bottom maps" are transferd via wifi to the Cloud using the Active Captain app. But what if I want not to share them or want to look at this maps on a desktop computer?

Please forgive me If something sound extremely noob, but I'm such. I've a little and poor experience with traditional sonar used on my mate boat and maybe some of my ideas would sound silly or non-sense to many of you.
    Maybe, my idea of keeping the expense under 500€ is not feasable, but I would love to ear your POV even about other brands/models I'm not aware of.

thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to BBC

3. Member
    Welcome! I'm a fan of Garmin. Hummingbird is also good. Personal preference.

4. Member
    Wecome to the party MarsArtis. Can not help you with you specific questions, but can suggest to also post this in the brand specific forums.

5. Member
    Thx Alanhore,
    since it's sorta cross brands search I thought it was better to start a general topic.

6. Member
    Alanhore is correct, you'd be better off posting in both the Garmin and humminbird sub-forum's.
    Even better, call or email both Garmin and humminbird. Then your getting the information directly from the respective manufacturers.
    I just installed two Garmin echomap 73 sv plus units, I love the quick draw mapping. You do not have to upload if you do not want to. Also, Garmin support is wonderful to deal with. I've never dealt with humminbird support.
    I started a thread on the Garmin sonar/gps sub-forum, asking about printing out quickdraw maps, so far the answer is no. Here's a link -
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=883450

7. Member
    Thx averybody.
    I've continued my searches and discovered a great 3rd party app called Reefmaster that can import both from Lawrence and Humminbird.
    Not clear yet if it's possible from Garmin echoes.

Anyway the good thing is that once the map is built it can be painfuless exported for Lowrance.
    While for humminbird is still needed Autochart.
    For Garmin it may be more complex (yet not impossible) because the workflow involves the use of Gpmapedit to built Usable Garmin maps.

But in the Garmin specific situation, only devices with SD slot can be used. Strikers are out of the game for now.

Hope that these infos may came useful for others.

8. Banned
    Welcome sir. Hope you find your answers. These guys are pretty sharp on here.