Thread: Fish echos

Fish echos

Attached is a shot from my Humminbird of fresh water bream in a river in Germany, at 3m depth over sand bottom.
    Are such images also possible with the Garmin units (without the new UHD) or not? Most images from Garmin I've seen so far are horridly grainy and lack midtone definition and fish shadows. Is this a general problem? Are there transducers or units that work better? I've seen one image on Facebook from a GT40, which looked pretty good, but everything else shows hints of structure at best and bridge pylons / sidelobe artifacts at worst.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    I've yet to see any fish shadows with my 7608 and GT52 transducer. Actually, even hard structure shadows, from dock pilings and such, aren't very pronounced. No where near like they are on my old, cheap HB 698.

3. Member
    I have been working with my CV52 transducer and I can get shadows from hard structure. This is a fallen tree at 455 kHz with brightness and contrast both at 90. I haven't been back out to try to fine tune more since I got this. But I'm confident with the help I've gotten from members on here I can improve this image more.

4. Member
    Now that I have some setting adjusted, the sideview on my GT30 I would say is better than my old 798 bird. On mine I had to set it to 455 and turn the TVG to high and the picture improved 200%. That doesnt seem to be the case for everyone though. Im also comparing a 5" bird screen to a 10" Garmin, so that makes a big difference too.

.please delete
    Last edited by Astrochris; 03-23-2018 at 07:07 AM.

These photos were taken from the Garmin sonar and fishing Finatics Facebook page
    Last edited by Astrochris; 03-23-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Last edited by Astrochris; 03-23-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Sorry I’m having trouble uploading photos from my phone

11. Member
    All the images from the 52 transducer seem atrocious to me. The GT40 however is exactly the transducer that I've seen before producing decent images.

12. Banned

13. Member
    These are not too bad, thanks for sharing! But where do these strange stripe like artifacts come from? Is this all sidelobe artifact? And the images are really grainy. Can the contrast be reduced on these units?

14. Member
    Seeing soft targets and related shadows is simply a matter of having the correct adjustments. It's not a Humminbird, Lowrance or Garmin phenomena. When something is present to block the ping, the area behind it can have a shadow. If it's on or near the bottom the shadow will be close to it. If it's up in the water column the shadow will be farther away, sometimes very far away. There is no problem whatsoever with soft targets or shadows on Garmin transducers. In the attached screenshot with fish notice how far away the shadows are on the right. If I had been showing more range there would have been even more shadows farther away. Where I fish rarely will the optimal settings for one side of the boat be optimal for the other side.

The second screenshot shows shadow structure. On the right you can see the creek channel which is a shadow because it drops down out of view. The fish with shadows was a GT52. The creek chanel on a GT50.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 03-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Seeing soft targets and related shadows is simply a matter of having the correct adjustments. It's not a Humminbird, Lowrance or Garmin phenomena. When something is present to block the ping, the area behind it can have a shadow. If it's on or near the bottom the shadow will be close to it. If it's up in the water column the shadow will be farther away, sometimes very far away. There is no problem whatsoever with soft targets or shadows on Garmin transducers. In the attached screenshot with fish notice how far away the shadows are on the right. If I had been showing more range there would have been even more shadows farther away. Where I fish rarely will the optimal settings for one side of the boat be optimal for the other side.

The second screenshot shows shadow structure. On the right you can see the creek channel which is a shadow because it drops down out of view. The fish with shadows was a GT52. The creek chanel on a GT50.
    What are your settings?

Obvious fish echo and shadow

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    What are your settings?
    Contrast - default.
    Brightness - Auto medium on creekbed, 65 on fish.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.