Electrical Question

I am cleaning up some wiring in my battery compartment trying to get as few wires to + terminal as possible, I will try to explain how it is currently laid out, and how I would like to lay it out.

Current set up... Starting from + Terminal ...50 Amp manual reset breaker with 4 gauge wire running to main power switch, coming from main power switch to remote terminal stud are 1 4 gauge wire to bring power to post out of switch, along with 3 other connections on a 20 amp manual reset breaker

I plan to install a fuse block, I will be moving the three connections on the 20 amp to the fuse block, one of the wires is heavier gauge, main power to all accessories, graphs, etc I believe this wire travels from another block located near the console. The other two are pumps both have inline 10 amp fuse. I will also be adding things like my jackplate to the block

I intend to take the wire that was powering the terminal post, and moving it to my battery + running through the switch and out the other wire to the fuse block- What kind of protection do I need prior to reaching the block? I would like to eliminate the 50amp breaker as the terminal rings are very small for the 4 gauge wire and larger ring terminals. Do I need protection between the battery and the fuse block?

I tested a bit and it seems as if these switches are two way...meaning it doesnt matter which side is hot ... I would like to find a switch with the breaker installed like I have for my TM

How much protection fuse wise do I need to protect the items coming from the 20 amp breaker?

Should I leave inline fuses in place prior to fuse block or should I install new rings and eliminate the fuse?

Thanks in advance

You will need to retain a fuse or breaker at the battery for the fuse block feed.
    Catching bass 60 percent of the time, every time...

I don't know all the answers, but I believe I would have two bilge pumps on separate circuit breakers, and NOT on fuses. FWIW.

4. Member
    Why on breakers and not fused?

5. Member
    Breakers are push button reset but a fuse must be found in the boat and replaced. If you didn't fix whatever caused the fuse to pop, then you need another, etc. Time required to do this may be very critical if the boat is filling with water.

6. Member
    Ohh I gotcha, the auto bilge will be wired hot to the battery w an inline fuse, the manual bilge will be wired to the fuse block