Thread: Farmers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Never let land just go. Someone will pay you for it, but watch out getting lawyers involved. They will eat up your share rather quickly in fees.

2. Member
    While I really don't understand your situation, I believe as others you should consult a lawyer not associated with the family or area. There are very few if any contracts that are signed in perpetuity so whatever your grandfather did with the farm contract wise should have an end date where things can be changed.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

3. Member
    Never heard of a patent corporation leasing ground unless it was a seed company or the like. Sharecropping is quite common and usually put out for bid for short periods of time. Get a lawyer and find out what costs are associated with you taking possession. If it is financially sound, take possession and sell your part off. Check with the local ag people and see what the land value is. Not sure why the epa would be involved unless the ground is contaminated in some way, possibly from paint involved due to spillage or just plain ole dumping. Doesn't sound like the land has any sentimental value to you.

I don't fully understand your post, but if get a lawyer. I will say the company with patents part sounds like Monsanto, they have patents on a lot of seeds and track the DNA of their seeds to see if it was purchased legally or not, pretty wild stuff.
    Currently Not Boatless Bank Trash
    2013 King Ranch F150 4x4

5. Member
    Sounds like a lawyer who is trying to use big words to scare you off.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrice1981 View Post
    I don't fully understand your post, but if get a lawyer. I will say the company with patents part sounds like Monsanto, they have patents on a lot of seeds and track the DNA of their seeds to see if it was purchased legally or not, pretty wild stuff.
    This is very possible and there may be some mineral rights involved that can be confusing.

GET YOUR OWN ATTORNEY NOW!!!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

If someone is trying to talk you out of taking possession of it you can bet 2 things, it's a valuable piece of property and there is something in it for them.

9. Member
    There are lawsuits against Monsanto and other companies but those should not carry over to the landowner. Monsanto also has lawsuits against farmers and corporations for patent violations involving the cross pollination of varieties and Monsanto claiming seed premiums but that also should not involve the landowner.

I smell a Rat
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

11. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    ...There are very few if any contracts that are signed in perpetuity so whatever your grandfather did with the farm contract wise should have an end date where things can be changed.
    Jeff, I can think of two examples right off the top of my head... A perpetual Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP, now WRE) easement and/or a Conservation Easement... I doubt either of these is the case, though, if the land in question is still in production.

Count me as casting another vote for "You're going to need an attorney to help you wade through this".
    Who controls John Gill?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Jeff, I can think of two examples right off the top of my head... A perpetual Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP, now WRE) easement and/or a Conservation Easement... I doubt either of these is the case, though, if the land in question is still in production.

Count me as casting another vote for "You're going to need an attorney to help you wade through this".
    I forgot about WRP or wetlands bank. If either of those are the case I can't see a disadvantage to take ownership just for recreation purposes but a consult is the answer.

13. Member
    Chalk another one up as get your own attorney to review. Don’t farm full time myself but am part of a full time farming family and what you described sounds fishy as all get out.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

14. Member
    I don't understand your post at all. What I do understand is that if you are accurately describing what your lawyer cousin told you, then he didn't tell you anything that makes a lick of sense. I don't mean to belittle your cousin and the only information I have is what you gave me, but based upon that I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Only thing I can maybe make out of that post is perhaps it was listed in a program (such as WRP like hatcreek mentioned) and was locked in for perpetuity, but then your grandfather also had it sharecropped so that he was double-dipping in a sense. I don't know what the punishment/legalities of violating a conservation program include. I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to not accept your share of the inheritance though.

15. Banned
    Meet Dave and Paul Weimer And I just chose this website because I have Weimaraner dogs.. Judge Judy, anyone but don't go down w/out a fight...

http://www.weimerlaw.com

16. Member
    Get you a woman lawyer, if she hits them at the right time they will be begging to give it all to you within 3 days.

17. Member
    The only time I've ever heard the words land and patent used in the same sentence was out west, they had "patented claim" to certain sections of land.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    I don't understand your post at all. What I do understand is that if you are accurately describing what your lawyer cousin told you, then he didn't tell you anything that makes a lick of sense. I don't mean to belittle your cousin and the only information I have is what you gave me, but based upon that I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Only thing I can maybe make out of that post is perhaps it was listed in a program (such as WRP like hatcreek mentioned) and was locked in for perpetuity, but then your grandfather also had it sharecropped so that he was double-dipping in a sense. I don't know what the punishment/legalities of violating a conservation program include. I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to not accept your share of the inheritance though.
    This. Can you read back over your OP and see if you can make it easier to read? But, for sure get a lawyer.

19. Member
    Are there mineral rights on the property? You wouldn't believe the backstabbing that's going on in some families around here since the oil / gas / fracking companies hit town. These old dormant family farms are now worth millions in gas / oil leases and some of the family fights have been epic.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

20. Member
    If it's in probate a lawyer should all ready be handling this case and you should be able to go through them unless it's your cousin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast