Help with decision!

I'm looking to upgrading from my 92 PII too a newer Puma. Identical Pumas other than color, motors and electronics. I'm torn between the motors, a 13 250 SHO w/96 hrs or the a 250 Pro XS w/375 hrs. I lean a little more towards the SHO.
    Looking some unbiased options on the motors from people who are familiar with BOTH motors?

2. Member
    Never owned a SHO but that's a no brainier for me. I would go SHO.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

3. Member
    Had the sho had any issues or just not used much? If not used much go with the sho

4. Member
    Not that I know of, think just not used much, it's from a dealer. The Pro XS is from a individual.

5. Member
    Personal I like my XS. But I would have bought a SHO. Had one been available, and a good deal. But I also understood that I have many more mercury mechanics close buy. Warranty length was my other factor that I looked for.

Some of the early SHo had issues.(if it’s 13?) I would want to know this had been addressed. Or that I had a few yrs warranty.

You love both. Good luck.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Personal I like my XS. But I would have bought a SHO. Had one been available, and a good deal. But I also understood that I have many more mercury mechanics close buy. Warranty length was my other factor that I looked for.

Some of the early SHo had issues.(if it’s 13?) I would want to know this had been addressed. Or that I had a few yrs warranty.

You love both. Good luck.
    Yes it's a 13! What issues were there with them? I currently run a old 92 Mariner EFI 200 and unaware of any SHO issues.

7. Member
    I would ask on the Yamaha board. The early engines had to be repowered at around 125 hrs. I think it was a lower bearing or seal failure, issue but I don’t remimber for sure. A couple guys I met here in GA had there’s replaced under warranty.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

8. Member
    Definitely check the SN of the SHO. There was a recall. My buddy had a recall on his. They replaced his power head. It has been fine since. Also if you get the SHO remember 89 octane minimum.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 03-22-2018 at 05:14 AM.

9. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Either number will perform on your rig and both are subject to fail at anytime. To me it would come down to a decision of who I’m gonna be more comfortable servicing my engine. The mer will be a little better on top ,,,, the Yamaha on bottom. Good luck with your purchase!
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

Haven't owned a sho, but have owned alot of mercury products. I think its more like a ford vs chevy argument. However I also feel like the mercury service and parts turn around is very quick, and Ive seen alot of yamaha owners waiting to get back on the water. I loved the 4s I had, not buying outboard oil is a plus. Id maybe base my decision more on who you have around for parts/ service. I am still seeing newer sho's make oil. And thats pretty scary to me. With hours that low on both though I don't think you can go wrong. Swing by the skeeter page theres alot of yamaha owners on there and you can probably search their posts.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

11. Member
    Thank you all for your input, it came down to going to look at the closest to me. One was 4 hours away and the other was 13 hrs away, plus about $6000 difference in price which was due to mostly taxes from being a dealer.
    The super nice individual even took me for a short ride in it and the Pro XS sure felt strong. The boat looked much better in person than the pictures and was in great shape!

12. Member
    Your going to love it! Congrats
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”