Thread: Erie Smallmouth

Erie Smallmouth

I posted a question on the Michigan site. I am just linking it in case anybody from Ohio may have some info.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=889887

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I answered on the Michigan forum, but my info pertains more to the Ohio side. Water temps are key to best smallmouth action, and of course you need a wind velocity and direction you can deal with. That makes planning tricky. Let’s just say that I would be very interested in the type of boat the guide had. I wouldn’t drive 50 miles to fish with a guide in a bass boat on Erie if the trip was planned more than 4 days in advance.... The best fishing is when the weather is most changeable, both spring and fall.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Again, thanks. Yes I expect gear is important. Just one of the reasons I am not bringing my boat.
    Follow up question, would you recommend another lake/body of water?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    For smallmouths in the spring, it’s hard to beat Lake St. Clair. You don’t have to go out far off the bank, both numbers and size are available, and when the wind blows, the lake is “small” enough that often you can drive around to calmer water, or fish in the St. Clair river. Another thing that makes LSC fun is that at less than half the depth of Erie, the whole gamut of baits come into play. Tubes and drop shots are staples on Erie. On LSC, those definitely work, but so do crankbait, rattle traps, topwater, jerk baits, spinner baits, swim baits, blade baits, wacky worms, flukes, grubs, and so on. I mean, all that stuff may work great for smallmouths on the same day, which would be very rare on Erie.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 03-22-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Very interesting, I will do some research on that. Thanks!

6. Member
    Don't forget the Detroit river if you go to LSC...

7. Member
    Sent you a PM. I may or may not know a little something on Erie. Ha

8. Member
    There's a bite for every season but ice cover. Get a hold of Micheal Simonton. He has Lake Erie Bass Fishing Guide Service. He used to fish the Elite Series and grew up on Erie's western basin/ Bass Islands area. I highly recommend him.