Question on Erie Smallmouth.

On my bucket list is a guided trip to Erie. My first question is my expectation. If I schedule two days during prime fishing time what might I expect in numbers? What would be the chance of a couple in the five pound range? I know that it depends on a lot of things. Just asking about reasonable expectations.
    Second, when is prime time generally speaking? Is there a spring and fall bite?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I live near the western part of Erie, and from all reports the best place for smallmouth numbers is in the east—like New York waters. Best spring bite is when water temps are around 60 degrees. Often mid-May or even late May. Bass season is closed then, only catch and release. And Lake Erie weather in the spring can be extremely fickle. There is a strong fall bite as well, but again, very dependent upon water temperature, and the fish typically are farther offshore than in the spring, so more running time is involved. The key in the fall is significant cooling down, and that’s hard to predict, time-wise. The very end of September or first of October is the general time, but October can be extremely windy on Erie. Much cooler air over warmer water has a tendency to make Erie ugly. 50-100 fish very doable in the spring. I would call 20-40 good in the fall, but they’ll be big then, especially when cooler water starts bunching up the bait.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    If your going to come all the way from Alabama up to Erie make sure whatever guide you hire has a solid back up plan in case of bad weather.......
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

4. Member
    Thank you both. I am leaning toward the spring. Yes it is a long way. Fortunately I can operate on short notice, like 48 hours notice.
    Follow up, is there another lake/body of water you would recommend?
    Last edited by gehol; 03-22-2018 at 07:43 AM.

5. Member
    You may want to consider the Buffalo NY area of Lake Erie. Numbers and size is impressive. If there is a big blow, you can fish below the Falls in the Niagara River. Mid May is my favorite time to go.

Erie Pa is another alternative. There is good fishing east of the city of Erie and if the wind kicks up, you can salvage the day by fishing Presque Isle.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Banned
    St. Clair is always a backup... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    St. Clair is always a backup... Dan
    Exactly. Usually an area on St. Clair protected from the wind where you can hammer em in the spring, while fishing in comfort. Just need to be flexible with where you launch or be willing to run through the unprotected areas.

8. Member
    Looking into St Clair, thanks.

Love St. Clair in the spring and early summer. Last year I caught 3 smallmouth over 5lbs. on our early June trip. I haven't fished Erie....yet...but I can highly recommend St. Clair in the spring
    Heartwood Fence Co.

10. Member
    Living on the shores of the western basin I would say the fall is the best bite with the biggest fish. Oct-Nov. are the best times to come for numbers and size. If you get a bad wind you can drive an hour and a half to the Detroit River and catch them there or along the north shore. St. Clair is another option with a lot of numbers and you will catch some 5's and maybe a 6. I fish all of these waters for smallies quite a bit so PM for more info and maybe work out a trade for some Alabama fishing.

11. Member
    St. Clair in April/May is unbeatable. http://www.marcelsguideservice.com/
    -Matt