Need some advice

My brother and I were going to Toledo Bend next week from Tennessee. But the wind forecast sucks bad. Any idea where we should go? Maybe somewhere else in east Texas or Louisiana. We are looking to catch numbers and some good ones to. Or does Toledo Bend have enough places to get out of the wind? Thanks

2. Banned
    Any y advice I can give you is if the wind is blowing it's a rough mother f'er getting to a cove you can fish. Housen would be a good place or six mile. Charlie206 and Corkpuller will be along shortly and whatever advice they give, use it.

I was on Toledo Bend last week for the first time. I am from Tennessee and grew up there. Winds were 10-12 knots last week and it wasn't bad at all but I could see how it could get really rough on Toledo, same with Rayburn which I've been on maybe 6-7 times. Lakes here are a lot different than the Tennessee lakes I've fished on and here they have so may stumps and shallow water areas. I'd suggest the "boat lanes" chip for Rayburn, Toledo, Fork. Toledo has boat lanes and idle only if outside those lanes is my advice. Like I said, last week was my first time on Toledo so I'm not very knowledgeable. Toledo is so big you can pick a large area such as Housen or 6 mile and fish all day and only cover a very small portion.

Do you know where you are staying yet?

We are staying at fin and feather

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
    That's where we have stayed and and really like it, good fishing right there in Housen.

The wind forecast in Texas changes daily (if not hourly). Keep your plans because you won't know for sure till the day before forecast.

The restaurant there is pretty dang good. Boat parking at most of the rooms sucks though.

8. Member
    You have all of Housen, not far from Indian Mounds either. Hurricane across from F&F is not bad from what I hear.

As to the boat lanes on the Texas side, they are single buoys. They may or may not be where they are supposed to be. Lance Vick offers his Boatlanes add on for your graph, well worth the cash. Like C130 said, it is a big lake. One thing to consider is trailering to other ramps on either side of the lake. More help will be forthcoming I am sure.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

When the wind blows the fishing is usually good.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    The restaurant there is pretty dang good. Boat parking at most of the rooms sucks though.
    We stayed I a triplex room two years ago and the lower motel last October and looks like they have been remodeled or updated. New floors, fresh paint, new bathroom fixtures etc. we're new and rooms were very clean. We had no complaints at all and heard no one else have a negative word. You are right about the boat parking and the wide ramp sucks, it's steep and slick not very good IMO. The single lane ramp by the boat house was too shallow in October as the lake was down but we used it the year before when it flooded.

Just stayed at Fin and Feather last week, we liked it. We stayed in the Delta motel and there's a big parking lot next to that section. It has a few electrical connections for charging your batteries. Bring an extension cord.

12. Member
    Dont sweat the wind, just watch where you go if a hard north or south wind is expected. You are staying in Housen, it’s a big area situated east/west and fishable in a north or south wind. What you do not want to do is run 10-15 miles upriver when high wind is anticipated later in the day. A 20 minute boat ride north while fairly smooth, then have the wind jump up on you, becomes a fairly serious situation. I’ve been hung in 6-7’s on the main north/south body of the lake and trust me, you don’t want to do that. Just be smart about where you go, it’s huge and fishable somewhere in most any wind by using your head and even trailering if needed. At Housen, a north wind is much more dangerous than a south wind on the main lake body. By the way, the wind forecast don’t mean crap, it’s always wrong.

ya we are going! thanks for the info everybody!

GET THE BOAT LANES CARD if you plan on runnin the lake.

I fished Indian Mounds 2 days ago and counted 4 main boat road buoys on the bank. God knows where they belong. Texas does a worst than shitty job of maintaining the buoys. The LA side is kept up with like it should be.

The one thing you got going for you right now as far as runnin the lake is the high water. But I have seen and see it ever Spring these yayhoos blasting around in places that is solid timber below. They would have major pucker if they could see what they were running over.

Very simple --- out of the boat road, you IDLE.

Good luck

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    Dont sweat the wind, just watch where you go if a hard north or south wind is expected. You are staying in Housen, it’s a big area situated east/west and fishable in a north or south wind. What you do not want to do is run 10-15 miles upriver when high wind is anticipated later in the day. A 20 minute boat ride north while fairly smooth, then have the wind jump up on you, becomes a fairly serious situation. I’ve been hung in 6-7’s on the main north/south body of the lake and trust me, you don’t want to do that. Just be smart about where you go, it’s huge and fishable somewhere in most any wind by using your head and even trailering if needed. At Housen, a north wind is much more dangerous than a south wind on the main lake body. By the way, the wind forecast don’t mean crap, it’s always wrong.
    +1 If you make a run just beware of the wind. If it starts to pick up go ahead and get back to where you launched. It's not like you can just cut around a point, you have to follow the lanes and they go out in the middle of the bad stuff and put you at bad angles which make it a lot worse. There's plenty of fishing in housen and six mile which have ramps about 15 minutes apart. There's a little grass in those coves which will hold fish. If you go further north the grass goes away so it will be any shallow cover or creek channel type stuff.