Daiwa model sizes

Hey guys,

I've been a Shimano guy for a while now and am looking at possibly making the switch to Daiwa. No complaints about Shimano products especially the spinning reels but I find the new casting models to be too small for my big hands. I'm new to Daiwa and am not all to familiar with the different models. Originally I became interested in Daiwa reels when I noticed the Tatula models looked large compared to most other reels I was looking at and I held a bunch of them at a fishing show that felt great. Since recently looking at the Tatulas on Daiwas site I noticed that they are no longer listed. Does this mean they are being discontinued or is a new model coming out? I was also curious as to how the different models in Daiwas line up compare size wise? I recently held a Tatula CT Type R at my local dealer and although it felt nice it was a bit too small for me. I'm also not familiar with the SV technology and whether its something I should try. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Banned
    The OG Tatulas were bigger than the new CT models. If you can find the older ones, they may be what you are looking for. I know The Tackle Trap is gonna carry the 150 model, which looks like the OG models.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main...th=75_823_2674

Take a look.

3. Member
    Yea there was a post comparing pics of the new 150 model with a regular Tatula and a CT. The new 150 looks like its a bit smaller than the original Tatula.

4. Member
    The OG tat type R is a sweet reel. Buddy has one and I used it for a little bit and man you can make a bait fly with it. The OG fuego is another good option. I don't really think it's much smaller than the OG tatula but could be wrong. I think the newer fuego reels are about the same size as the tatula CT. The tatula sv is awesome for light lures as well as skipping , but will handle regular sized baits perfectly as well. Another great option are the OG zillions. So many options in that line up and they are a bigger reel and are as smooth as butter. I own the zillion type R plus and recently picked up the J Dream.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Did you not get the pictures I sent you?
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Did you not get the pictures I sent you?
    I did! My apologies I thought I wrote back. Those were very helpful, Only thing is i’ve never handled an old Curado or even seen one in person

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    I did! My apologies I thought I wrote back. Those were very helpful, Only thing is i’ve never handled an old Curado or even seen one in person
    Don't worry about the curado once u get a diawa u won't go back
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRX_fever View Post
    Don't worry about the curado once u get a diawa u won't go back
    i'm looking forward to trying a Daiwa reel, just trying to figure out what model to try.

9. Member
    The new Tatula 150 may suit your needs if you have problems finding any OG Tat’s. The Tat 150 is smaller than the OG and larger than CT. Also take a look at the OG Zillion TW.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass360 View Post
    The new Tatula 150 may suit your needs if you have problems finding any OG Tat’s. The Tat 150 is smaller than the OG and larger than CT. Also take a look at the OG Zillion TW.
    The original Tats are still pretty easy to find online and I will definitely be ordering one to try. I'm also curious as to how the new Tatula SV TWS compares size wise to all these reels seeing as its not a CT model?

11. Banned
    I'm a Lews guy but these things are starting to turn up at my door? Hard to explain

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    I'm also curious as to how the new Tatula SV TWS compares size wise to all these reels seeing as its not a CT model?
    The Tat SV and the Tat CT are about the same physical size but the line capacity of the SV is less than the CT. The SV is also a little bit lighter - 7.2 oz vs 7.4 oz.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax