Thread: NE Texas report

NE Texas report

I figured since I have gotten a few calls I better let everyone know all is well and I am still fishing.

I have been out less this year than in years past due to my work schedule. I was out for most of Feb and some of March. We are back so I figured I would let you know what we are finding here.

Fork has been putting out some big girls this spring, but you have to be comfortable with muddy to milky colored water. We have got a years worth of rain in the past month. Most of the N.E. Texas lakes are stained at best. The smaller lakes have better water conditions.

I have found water temps from the upper 40's to the low to mid 50's. One lake I found low 60's. After this week I believe the temps will start to move up at a quickening pace. Night time lows are starting to rise now. Last week we saw generally low 40's for low temps at night, the next few weeks they are predicting lows in the 60's. That will warm things up.

The last full moon brought a few of the spawners up, but I believe the next one will bring them to the shallows in the masses. At Fork we had a good week. Even with water clarity what it was, we caught almost 30 fish in the one day tournament this past weekend. We caught our share of slot fish that we could not take to the scales. From 16.25" to 22" fish. It sure hurts your feelings to have to throw back 7 and 8 lb fish in a tournament.

The best baits for the past week for us were T-rigged black and blue lizards, dragged very slow in inches of water early. Then dead sticking weightless fluke style baits in 3 to 4 feet of water as the days went on. A thumpin spinner bait caught a few as well.

The frog bite is starting to get good here in NE Texas as well. Below is a link to yesterdays outing.

Jeff, and Rheba Johnson
    AND COOPER
    2009 BEE LINE 294 by Phoenix
    2009 150 MERC OPTIMAX

2. Member

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Thanks Jeff

4. Banned
    I'll be at Fork April 29 through the week, it's my favorite place to be and I'm ready to go.

5. Member
    That was just awesome to watch Jeff!...Glad to see you back in action!...I'll text you soon