Need advice on my setup!!

I have a 1999 Blazer 180 ProV bass boat , 24p Turbo 3 blade, 10" jackplate,
    0- 150 Yamaha VMax . Propshaft is 2" below the pad. 59 mph @ 5900 rpm with more throttle left. So I put a 25p and WOT was 5500 rpm at 58 mph. Doesn't matter if i raise or lower the jackplate, it still runs basically the same top speed. I've tried Yamaha, Tempest and the Turbo prop and they all run the same rpms and speed. Any help for more top end would be appreciated. I haven’t seen anyone with the same rig top end under 62. Most are running mid to upper 60’s Can someone enlighten me on why I’m not running mid 60s

2. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    It could be a lot of things.....some you really don't want to hear due to the age of the boat. What kind of shape is the pad in? Does the transom have flex in it? Is the hotfoot adjusted to were the throttle plate is opening up all the way? Has any work ever been done the boat?

3. Member
    Boat is in great shape. Transom is in good shape, hotfoot goes all the way down. She. U ask has anyone worked on the boat, are you referring to the motor or the hull? I don’t see where it could’ve been repairs done, and I know the motor was replace a few years ago. The previous owner had a merc 200hp on it and blew the motor .
    You think the hull slowing me down?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    It could be a lot of things.....some you really don't want to hear due to the age of the boat. What kind of shape is the pad in? Does the transom have flex in it? Is the hotfoot adjusted to were the throttle plate is opening up all the way? Has any work ever been done the boat?
    I can send you pix if you like. Shoot me an email and I’ll reply back with pix
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Take the cowl off, have someone push the hotfoot down while you watch the throttle plates open to make sure they are opening. Since you have been up and down on the plate with different props, and the boat is in good shape, the only other thing I can think off is the motor is down on power. Outboards are built to the 10% rule, meaning they can be plus or minus 10% of the rated HP, then you add in the age of engine. Have you done a compression and leak down test on the motor? If not, I'd take it over to Simon's in Gonzales and et him check it out.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Take the cowl off, have someone push the hotfoot down while you watch the throttle plates open to make sure they are opening. Since you have been up and down on the plate with different props, and the boat is in good shape, the only other thing I can think off is the motor is down on power. Outboards are built to the 10% rule, meaning they can be plus or minus 10% of the rated HP, then you add in the age of engine. Have you done a compression and leak down test on the motor? If not, I'd take it over to Simon's in Gonzales and et him check it out.

Compression on 4 cylinders are 110 and 2 of the are 105.