Shimano’s Budget Reels

I’m a Shimano guy and have had multiple reel manufacturers but keep going back to Shimanos offerings. But i always have noticed that there budget reels are crap. In my hands they feel like very cheap even there new one the Casticas i think it what it is called. I mean lews with there speed spool at 99 bucks is buy far the best on the market from what i found. Just seems from the Curado down the quality just isn’t there for Shimano. But is everyone thoughts on this?

2. Member
    I sold mine last year, but the Citica 200E is a reel in demand on reel sales sites. I had three in which I installed ABEC 7 SS bearings and Carbon Tec drags and they went really fast for an unquestioned price. Sweeet little reels. My three Curado B's are 10 years old and perform just like they did out of the box and I have never had to repair anything on them. I do maintain my own reels.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HalBrown View Post
    I sold mine last year, but the Citica 200E is a reel in demand on reel sales sites. I had three in which I installed ABEC 7 SS bearings and Carbon Tec drags and they went really fast for an unquestioned price. Sweeet little reels. My three Curado B's are 10 years old and perform just like they did out of the box and I have never had to repair anything on them. I do maintain my own reels.
    Totally agree with you HalBrown on the Citica E series after them the Citica weren't worth buying to me anyways just never really felt the same and performance wise.

4. Banned
    Shimano dont make a good reel under the Curado anymore. For $100-150, there are better offerings from Daiwa, Lews, Abu, and BPS. (Lews, Abu, and BPS are all products of Doyo)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Shimano dont make a good reel under the Curado anymore. For $100-150, there are better offerings from Daiwa, Lews, Abu, and BPS. (Lews, Abu, and BPS are all products of Doyo)
    agreed, but I don't even want a Curado anymore. Haven't liked any of them since the "E" series.

6. Member
    Whoa, my Curado 70's and K are really nice reels and I have three Curado 200E7's.

Quote Originally Posted by HalBrown View Post
    Whoa, my Curado 70's and K are really nice reels and I have three Curado 200E7's.
    . Have to agree..... you can pick up the K and the 70 series if u look around for 149$

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    agreed, but I don't even want a Curado anymore. Haven't liked any of them since the "E" series.
    Me neither.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    . Have to agree..... you can pick up the K and the 70 series if u look around for 149$
    I have three "k's" and love them. I had two "i's" and sold them. The 200 k is much nicer. Newegg.com has them for $137 shipped. The last k I bought was $107 shipped with the 20% ebay discount offered a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    I have three "k's" and love them. I had two "i's" and sold them. The 200 k is much nicer. Newegg.com has them for $137 shipped. The last k I bought was $107 shipped with the 20% ebay discount offered a couple weeks ago.
    damn, now thats a bargain....

11. Member
    Oops! I am sorry, $117 shipped. Still a great price.

12. Member
    Ive been buying them on ebay as well for around 120

13. Member
    I think Lews has the market cornered on qulaity reels in the $90-$140 range. I have a few Lews MB's that I got for $100 ($140 normally) I think are great for frog set-up and flipping stick where I am using heavier weight.

14. Banned
    You mentioned Lews™ Here is one "on Sell' at TackleWhorehouse™

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lews_...cpage-LM1.html

I just can't get Myself to pay anything over $150 per item being a "skinflint" so it is 'better stuff' when it is on sale or crapshoot. I am absolutely tickled w/a 'cheapie' from 13Fishing Origin

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Just curious what defines a good reel. Because I’ve got the casitas and haven’t had a problem. It cast just as far as a lfs speed spoil and is just as smooth. I know this is just my experience. So do I just have a gem out of a lot of duds?

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebass View Post
    Just curious what defines a good reel. Because I’ve got the casitas and haven’t had a problem. It cast just as far as a lfs speed spoil and is just as smooth. I know this is just my experience. So do I just have a gem out of a lot of duds?
    They aren't aluminum framed reels, which in the long run isn't good, and won't serve well with heavy applications. Other brands have them in the $100 or less category.

17. Member
    Ive never had an issue with my Citica I. I have 3 or 4 of them and everyone of them is awesome, they cast a mile and have never had trouble handling fish with them I use them on all my moving bait rods. I also have 1 new curado K and a few curado 70 and some curado 200 I. I dont know what everyone else on here does with their reels but I use mine to fish and for that purpose none of them have ever failed me. Also its not like im babying my reels by any means and they all seem to perform very well. That being said my favorite of the shimano reels is still my Chronarch ci4+ but that is a different price category, although my curado K is slowly taking over as my favorite!
    2017 Phoenix 919 ProXP 225 Mercury ProXS

18. Member
    I have two shimano casitas and have the worm drive bearing upgrade in both. They are super smooth and are a great budget minded reel and imho.

19. Member
    To me it seems like Shimano has dropped the ball on budget reels. The Citica, at $149 retail is the lowest Aluminum framed reel they sell. Which doesnt fit the term budget at all. Thats high end to me!!

The Caenan, which is composite, is around $80, so for $20 more you can get a Daiwa, Abu or Lews metal framed reel. Even less when they are on sale, but just talking retail prices here. The Casitas for $99 palms nice, but again, composite frame. Maybe the new composite frames hold up better than graphite, but not sure on that. But for the same price, I'll stick to an Aluminum frame. It would be nice to hear feed back on those after a few years of use.

Come on Shimano, get back into the budget reel game.