Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    So what does anyone think about facebook in light of the latest mess with member's info being used?
    I cancelled my Facebook account yesterday.... Between the data breaches and the fact that I was starting to lose my faith in humanity reading some of the posts and replies I was getting less and less benefit from facebook every day.....I'm done..
    At least in a Forum setting you have moderators to keep things down to little skirmishes and not all out war....
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

2. Member
    years ago, my wife and i went on a diner date with another couple. he was ex military, army i think, anyway we were talking aobut how the government has access to us at all times. i said that IF they wanted to they could see and hear everything we did. my wife said impossible. the guy said, "give me the cordinants." he used ot be the guy with the portable sattelite or something.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I think it is simply a manifestation of long used campaign tactics, using modern communication tools.

Let's not forget that the first to use this information in this exact way in a political campaign is President Obama, in 2008. Their campaign managers explained (bragged?) how and what they did, repeatedly after that election.
    It was OK then but there is a different guy in office now...so it’s bad.

4. Member
    I was shocked at the number of young people in my workplace who were not registered voters but all had and were very good with smartphones. I got a lot of them registered to vote and when it was all said and done they asked me who they should vote for!

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    I was shocked at the number of young people in my workplace who were not registered voters but all had and were very good with smartphones. I got a lot of them registered to vote and when it was all said and done they asked me who they should vote for!
    That does not shock me. The factory I used to work in, less then 25% of the adults had ever voted more then once. Most had the opinion that it didn't really matter, so why bother.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richs View Post
    If someone wants to spy on my boring life, have at it.
    Exactly. Who cares?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    That does not shock me. The factory I used to work in, less then 25% of the adults had ever voted more then once. Most had the opinion that it didn't really matter, so why bother.
    I hear ya. My point was even with smartphone capability and research and propaganda they still weren't influenced one way or the other. I think they can gather any info they want but it doesn't appear to me they are swaying people in voting nor did these same people seem affected by marketing even though they were the target audience. Most seemed annoyed at the pop ups and such.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Good little sheep. Now they will watch YouTube and get told who to vote for. "They" know everything we do if you have a phone with you. I mean everything. When you walk, when you ride, sometimes air temps, pressures, and whatever else they want. I turned off a lot of permissions on my phone and it ask me constantly to turn them back on. I don't really have anything to hide but I also don't need them checking in. One thing I am glad of is I never have done any of the social media stuff besides a couple fishing forums. The next big info deal is all the internet stores. More and more require memberships with a ton of info to buy and the dreaded terms of service. Always the terms of service you HAVE to accept.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    The people that don't take the time to vote are probably the first ones to beetch when things go bad ....
    They do need to get voting to the point where it doesn't shoot half a day in the azz..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234