Another prop thread.... DF175 on Skeeter ZX190

So here we go..... I thought I had my prop issue somewhat handled but now I want more. I have a 2008 Skeeter ZX190 with a 2013 DF175 Suzuki. I have 4 batteries (recent 112 Fortrex) and dual 12’ Talons on the back. Tournament load I’m only seeing 55mph max! I’m getting passed by every other Skeeter with a 150 or 175 HPDI or SHO that’s doing 61-63mph all day. How can I go about bridging this speed gap? Here is my current setup

2013 DF 175
    2.5” prop to pad
    croxton Razor XL 4 blade 30p 15.25” diameter prop
    can bang the rev limiter if trimmed out on a long run
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I'm pushing an old 1998 Stratos ProXL 19 foot 5 incher with a 2006 175DF. I hit almost 60 GPS at 6000 RPM. I'm fat, and my old boat is a slug out of the hole with full fuel tank and livewells, just slow with my 300 pound ass alone. I'm running a cheap stainless steel 3 blade 16 inch diameter 24.5 pitch. My motor has 400 hours so it's no spring chicken.
    Wonder if your power poles and extra batteries, pumps and relatively big T/M are holding you back?
    Did you mean 14&1/4 inch prop?

3. Banned
    You’re running a 30 pitch/4 blade prop???

4. Member
    I'm just sitting here listening in guys. I have the same issue with a 19'7" bay boat with DF175. I have Suzuki 3x16x23 and hit 6100 rpms with a good bit of throttle left and only 45 mph. I talk to the Bluewave rep this past weekend and he suggested a larger diameter well and/or more pitch.

I'm finding these motors are hard to prop cause of the gear ratio

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I'm pushing an old 1998 Stratos ProXL 19 foot 5 incher with a 2006 175DF. I hit almost 60 GPS at 6000 RPM. I'm fat, and my old boat is a slug out of the hole with full fuel tank and livewells, just slow with my 300 pound ass alone. I'm running a cheap stainless steel 3 blade 16 inch diameter 24.5 pitch. My motor has 400 hours so it's no spring chicken.
    Wonder if your power poles and extra batteries, pumps and relatively big T/M are holding you back?
    Did you mean 14&1/4 inch prop?
    It is the 15.25” Razor XL 30p 4 blade. I also have a 31p TXP 3 blade I’m going to try out this weekend. For some reason I’m still seeing 19% slip and only 55mph. I may have to go with a 16” diameter prop and hope that grips better. It seems grip is the major issue with these 2.5:1 gear ratio motors. Finding the right setup is a pain

6. Banned

7. Banned
    how are you turining a 30 pitch with a 175? I'm told Suzukis like bigger props, but dammmmmmmmmmmmn!

my dealer propped my Polar kraft (19'5", 1290 lbs) & 140 Suzuki four stroke with a Suzuki stainless 3 blade 14 x 23.
    haven't tested it yet, but I'm told by dealer that's the correct prop for my setup.

8. Member
    It seems to turn a 30p like a Yamaha turns a 25p. I’m trying a 31p this weekend and we shall see what that does. When I swapped out props today, I measured the Razor XL 4 blade and it measured out to 14 7/8” and not 15.25” like it’s supposed to be. I’m guessing the guy I bought it used from had it trimmed down and never told me

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red1gturbodsm View Post
    It seems to turn a 30p like a Yamaha turns a 25p. I’m trying a 31p this weekend and we shall see what that does. When I swapped out props today, I measured the Razor XL 4 blade and it measured out to 14 7/8” and not 15.25” like it’s supposed to be. I’m guessing the guy I bought it used from had it trimmed down and never told me
    The outer swept area is very critical. It's like a circle in the yard with a walkway around it, if you work the Pi formula for circles, a very narrow walkway has more area than the inner circle. Another thing to keep in mind is the tip of the prop has to be lower than the surface so as to not cavitate. With a large diameter, that prop has to be lower to accommodate this dimension, hence a lower motor.
    That 3/4 inch might be critical.
    I don't think propping a Suzuki is a pain in the ass, just different. In my case, I followed the money, went cheap and my choices probably would not be wise for your preferences. My basic needs in a motor are operating expense, initial cost and reliability. Top speed is not a concern for me. I bought (stole) my motor used cheap, it had a 3 x 14 x 19 prop on it. First time I tried it out after I hung it on my boat, I was dazzled at the hole shot. Unfortunately it wouldn't exceed 35 MPH or so. Then I found a source, since dried up, for new SS 3 x 19 x 24.5 props for less than $100 to my door. I bought.