Experimental Size Regs for Cumberland & Cave Run Tournaments

This explains some of the FLW size limit change. I am a little leery of them "monitoring" the results. Been my gut feeling some of those in the fisheries division in Frankfort are not that crazy about bass tournaments. http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Ken...477445733.html

Be interesting how this works out for Cave Run.

Always amazed at the numbers of 15 1/2 inch bass some people claim to catch every tourney.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter35 View Post
    Been my gut feeling some of those in the fisheries division in Frankfort are not that crazy about bass tournaments.
    Why is that?

The more fishermen from out of state buying those higher priced licenses, the more money they accumulate to do more things with.

4. Banned
    This is what I find interesting.....

Fisheries biologists will monitor fish mortality during these tournaments to see if the exceptions to bass size limits will impact overall fishery in each lake.

So is this a study to try and establish a mortality rate of post-tournament release fish? If a large portion of "undersized" fish are later found dead after the special regs tournaments, then some correlations can be made about post-tournament mortality rates? Seems like a good idea to me as you hear a lot of people talking about how tournaments kill a lot of fish due to the stress put on them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Why is that?

The more fishermen from out of state buying those higher priced licenses, the more money they accumulate to do more things with.
    Most are biologist/scientist at heart & money does not enter into their studies. In my conversations with some of them at Frankfort they prefer MLF style tournaments where fish are weighed & released on the spot. They already "know" tournaments with a weigh in site increase mortality, especially during the summer months. I hope tournament directors for the 4 tournaments stress fish care a little more in these tournaments.

Recently I posted about a guy I know who started a new website. I posted how he had a good mixture of current topics as well as some older relevant topics. Here is a news release posted recently on his site about an experiment involving tournaments weighing in fish less than the state size limit. ...https://lakerecord.net/2018/03/21/kd...lw-tournament/

7. Member
    I personally think there is a lot of delayed mortality that will never be seen or be able to be recorded.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda