Praying Trying to Update Pre-laoded Maps - 93SV & 73SV

Guys, I am past the point of frustration with trying to figure out how to update the pre-loaded US Lakes on my units. Can anyone shed some light on this before I waste more time waiting on the line with Garmin? (My initial experience of just trying to register these units was painful enough that I am still gun shy.......) Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

2. Member
    There is not enough memory on these units u have to leave new card in the unit in order to use the new map .

3. Member
    Thanks for the info Dave. I do have a card for each unit. Any guidance as far as getting the new maps on the card? Do I have to first copy the old map to the card? If so, then what steps are next? I have gone through my manuals, tried Garmin express, verified my units are registered and visible on my account....nothing of this gives a clear how to at this point.....

Thanks again....

4. Member
    Not sure I have always had them send me card ,I don’t have a way to down load

Easiest thing to do is to call Support and make sure they know the exact model of units you have, then as Dave said they can simply send you the appropriate map cards.
    Garmin Pro Team

6. Member
    As Todd recommended, call tech support, that is the easiest way.

Or if your feeling a bit adventurous and have 4 hours to kill you may try Garmins method. Worked for me on an older 2016 Echomap 53dv.

You will need 2 brand new 32 gig micro sd cards...one for each chartplotter.

Before you begin, make sure your chartplotters have the most current firmware, if not, install that first from here:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=4749

NOTE: Firmware installation instructions are at the bottom of the firmware page.

MAP UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS

NOTE: Make sure you have the latest version of Garmin Express, they seem to update it weekly…..

You may or may not have to pay $60 for the updated map, you get one free map update with 12 months of registering your new 73/93.

You will have to do this for each chartplotter separately. Maps and map updates are registered to individual Garmin chartplotters by serial number.

1) Place an empty 32 gig micro sd card formatted to fat32 in your chartplotter. Turn the chartplotter on and let it startup all the way. This startup process will place a unit identifier and serial number (xml file) on the micro-sd card that is read by Garmin Express to confirm your chartplotter is registered to YOU.

2) Next, turn off chartplotter and remove the micro-sd card from chartplotter and put the sd card into your computer. You may need that black plastic micro-sd to regular sd card adapter thingy to put it in your PC or Mac.

3) Open Garmin Express, sign in, and Garmin Express should now recognize your chrtplotter and show available map updates. Express will ask where to download map update, so be sure to pick the drive letter that has the micro-sd card on your computer.

NOTE: The 2016 Echomaps do not have enough internal memory so the micro-sd card will have to remain inside your unit. The 2017 Echomaps do have enough internal memory.

It is a lot of work
    Fish rate my skills as "just below average"