899CI HD SI Flashing Depth

Recently my 899 started to flash the depth reading. I looked for any bent or broken pins and could not find anything wrong. I also cleaned them. I made sure that the transducer was parallel with the bottom of the boat and it was good. I then plugged it into my 859 plugs and the depth worked fine. Any clues to what could be wrong?

2. Member
    1st sign of a bad ducer.......

3. Member
    hook your 59 into the 99's stuff to make sure it is cabling or transducer. Do you have a "Y" cable hooked in where the 899 resides? Could be the cable connection. Bob

4. Member
    is it the depth reading only and not intermittent sonar readings? Did you accidently select the wrong depth reading to be displayed.

5. Member
    It is only the depth flashing. When I have the SI on, it pauses each time the depth flashes.

6. Member
    The 2D is what furnishes the digital depth readout. What does the 2d screen look like? Whenever the bottom signal loses the Bottom the digital readout will flash till it recaptures a stable depth. If there is a bad 2D signal which is the 200/83 khz that comes from the HDSI transducer if no "Y" cable or the separate transducer,perhaps epoxied inside the hull or mounted to the transom for on plane depth. This regaining of a solid bottom signal can overload the processor in the unit if it has to search to 1500 feet if you have not set the max depth in the sonar menu to just deeper than the lake is. But the problem you have is losing the digital depth. Could be transducer or cable. Thus my question. Do you have a "Y" cable or not. Bob

7. Member
    Sorry, Bob. I'm a beginner with this. I bought the boat with the graphs on it I know I have a transom mounted transducer for the 899 and a tm transducer for the 859 at the bow. The 2d has not been showing the bottom. I did the factory reset today and it didn't help.

8. Member
    How could I find the "y" cable?

9. Member
    The Y cable is plugged into the unit(both wires in that cable are only 12 to 18 inches long). Has two wires. Each wire is plugged into a different transducer. If there is only one wire in the cable plugged into the sonar port then there is no Y cable. Bob

10. Member
    Gotcha, I'm sure it doesn't have a y cable then. I traced the cable and did not see one

11. Member
    OK then. I would plug your 859 into your 899 stuff to confirm it does the same thing and if it does the transducer is bad and you start shopping for a new transducer. Bob

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    OK then. I would plug your 859 into your 899 stuff to confirm it does the same thing and if it does the transducer is bad and you start shopping for a new transducer. Bob
    It did and i bought the new transducer. I had the old style and I bought the new HD transducer. I did install it but haven't been out to the lake yet. I'll post back when I get back on the water.