Ultrex Steering Cable p

Think I popped a steering cable today. Help me out: the foot pedal has absolutely no tension. Right steering cable under pedal was off pulley. Reattached and still could not get any tension on cables, so I think it's either popped off at other end or broken cable. I did take it to service center. Is this common. TM new in May. I'm worried gonna happen to me on the water again(or is it just a freak thing that happens). Never have had a cable issue in all years of boating. There was no extraneous tension, by foot, put on the cable

2. Member
    Steering cables have been known to pop on same units. It is random and not confined to any particular S/N pattern. The cables have been upgraded(Nov 2017) and this problem should go away completely.

Just had my steering cable replaced after it broke. Mine is not the first from what I understand. If it is broken make sure they replace both of them. It is warranted. Keep in mind you can still use the TM with the remote and not use the pedal in a "must use" situation. You can check to see if it is broken by looking under the area where the curly cable comes from the head to the servo motor. Pop off the inspection cover (next to the where the curly cable ends) exposing a wire connection, disconnect the wires and remove two screws under the wire to see cable ends.

purchased Feb - 2017
    Last edited by bassfish1; 03-22-2018 at 07:58 AM.

4. Member
    Thanks fellas. Wish I would have read up more and would have used remote! Glad the fix is going to be fine

5. Member
    I received my Ultrex around Dec 2017. How can I determine if it has the upgraded cables?
    Thanks in advance.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoufellow View Post
    I received my Ultrex around Dec 2017. How can I determine if it has the upgraded cables?
    Thanks in advance.
    Serial number. Under the foot pedal. If it was built before Nov it could have the old cables. I don't know where the S/N cut is for Old and new. Never saw any data on it. Remember it is random and not confined to any serial numbers. Your concern is well taken but remember that if you loose the foot pedal you can still use the hand held remote. It would make the day less tolerable and you can still finish your fishing day.
    Maybe John will see this and chime on the S/N old to new cables.
    What say ye John?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Serial number. Under the foot pedal. If it was built before Nov it could have the old cables. I don't know where the S/N cut is for Old and new. Never saw any data on it. Remember it is random and not confined to any serial numbers. Your concern is well taken but remember that if you loose the foot pedal you can still use the hand held remote. It would make the day less tolerable and you can still finish your fishing day.
    Maybe John will see this and chime on the S/N old to new cables.
    What say ye John?
    Havn't see a date on a change over, more of a running change is what was explained to us in Decembers meeting. We know they were being installed at that time.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Havn't see a date on a change over, more of a running change is what was explained to us in Decembers meeting. We know they were being installed at that time.
    Yes Same thing i heard. Just thought you might have heard something different. Thanks.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post

So. I broke a cable on my VERY early production Ultrex. I ordered new cables last Monday and installed them yesterday. The only difference I could tell, visually, was the original cables had no numbers on them. The new ones had numbers printed on them. The new cables seemed more flexible too. Not the outer jacket, but the actual cable seemed more flexible.

Do do you know if MK automatically sends the new cables when you order them? I paid $14.99 each.

I know now they were under warranty, but I decided to save time and shipping money and forego the warranty.

10. Member
    If minnkota sent them based on the serial number, they will be the correct cables.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

I was told by Minn Kota that the remote will not steer the trolling motor if the steering cable is broken. I had heard that a few times on here but was told that was not correct when my steering cable broke last year.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I was told by Minn Kota that the remote will not steer the trolling motor if the steering cable is broken. I had heard that a few times on here but was told that was not correct when my steering cable broke last year.
    If the steering cable breaks, the remote will still steer.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    It still will steer with the remote with the cables broken. I know from experience!