Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Your not the only one and the system is not made by BCB. We did go to UFP/Dexter torsion axles earlier than most, though it’s a very common issue. The system has a lot of leverage on the arms and the impacts with curbs and obstacles can move parts just like tweaking the front end on your vehicle. Sometimes it not how hard though how you hit something to put your vehicle out of line. Tweaking the idlers is no different and everyone at some point curbs a trailer.

Last month a gentleman was in our office and said he’s never hit anything with his trailer, though he’s the third or fourth ownership. Everyone at some point has rolled one off a culvert somewhere making a turn or angle hit a curb in that same process. If this were a spring trailer it would have tweaked a spindle and bent it in those cases.

Some retorque them to 100-120 thinking thats enough, it requires the full 150 pounds of torque to give them durability.

BCB

2. Member
    Ok sounds good. I will keep an eye on it
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

3. Member
    Dumb design. Mine loosen constantly. Causes excessive tire wear and just plain dangerous. Just bought new ones as splines were shot from wear when driving around with them loose. Installed, did the correct torque, checked them a week later and they were loose. My trailer is a 2012 also. Get the longest 15/16 wrench you can buy as 150lbs is a lot. Check them often. Wish I had an answer on a permanent fix.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Dumb design. Mine loosen constantly. Causes excessive tire wear and just plain dangerous. Just bought new ones as splines were shot from wear when driving around with them loose. Installed, did the correct torque, checked them a week later and they were loose. My trailer is a 2012 also. Get the longest 15/16 wrench you can buy as 150lbs is a lot. Check them often. Wish I had an answer on a permanent fix.

get a 1/2 dr 150 or 250 ft lbs torque wrench or you're just guessing at tightness!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    It seems like most people with this problem is right at the 2012 year. No one has chimed in on a newer trailer
    . Has something changed?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Nothing has changed on the assemblies. It can happen to all trailers no matter brand with torsion axles, not just 2012 models.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 03-22-2018 at 07:38 AM.

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Bass Cat Boats;9208543]Nothing has changed on the assemblies. It happens to all trailers and not just 2012 models.[/QUOTE
    Awesome

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I have never once seen this happen or seen a post on here about it before this one. I don't think it happens to all trailers by the wildest stretch of the imagination.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

We edited the post and the user is looking to imply that 2012 models have this issue. Any car, truck or trailer is subject to alignment issues is a better way to phrase it. Torsion axles no matter the brand of trailer are subject to this with the style of idlers used. Every torsion axle can have similar looseness with tie bolts and torque.

BCB

10. Member
    I understand what you are saying, but I have to agree that if this happened to all trailers you would hear more about it. One of the best assets of this forum is that you find out general problems to look for. As well as fixes for these problems. So I guess add this to the list.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

11. Member
    I have mentioned it here before.

12. Member
    Anyone have a pic of the bolt/nut that needs to be checked and tightened?

13. Member
    I do not have a pic but I can get you one in the next couple days. But if you find the end of the axle the bolt is right there. Only 1 bolt that attached the trailing arm to the axle.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

14. Member
    I’ve started checking mine twice a year. There was another post about this awhile back and I took a screen shot of the torque spec.

15. Member
    My mistake, it was actually on the BassCat Owners page on FaceBook. Sherm posted the spec.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    I do not have a pic but I can get you one in the next couple days. But if you find the end of the axle the bolt is right there. Only 1 bolt that attached the trailing arm to the axle.
    Thanks, that would be great. I think I know which ones but want to make sure. All mine seem tight and no nuts have backed off.

https://heritagetrailers.com/sites/d.../torsion_1.jpg

This should give you and Idea. It was a search for a torsion axle by Dexter/UFP

BCB

18. Member
    That design doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy at all!! Why would that not be designed with the ends of that spindle threaded for a nut and carter key like the old style spindles? or at least a groove and snap ring?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownmaniac View Post
    That design doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy at all!! Why would that not be designed with the ends of that spindle threaded for a nut and carter key like the old style spindles? or at least a groove and snap ring?
    I agree there should be some type of retainer so the arm cannot just fall off. Also if the arm was a little wider to accept 2 bolts rather than just one. I am trying to think of a way to eliminate this problem. If it is true that most all torsion axle trailers have this issue there is going to be a lot of accidents due to this. I wish I would have made a video of this to show people how much slop was in all four of the wheels.

I am going to have to disagree with BCB that it is like a front end alignment. I am not saying I have never hit a curb or my right side tires have never went off the road, BUT I pay close attention to my trailer and currently have 6 trailers now and none of the wheels are falling off of them. I am not trying to get any one mad by this thread, but I did feel that I needed to share with others about this problem. I have to admit that when I first found the issue I thought it was an isolated issue.

Like I said I will come up with a way to eliminate the play. It will just take some time.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

20. rjw11111
    go back to springs that will eliminate problem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast