Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Another trailer issue!!! Wheels about to fall off

Guys I was just curious if it is normal that all 4 wheels at the trailing arms ( I guess that is what you would call it) would be so loose that I could shake the wheel appox. 2 inches. I guess I am doing horrible maintenance. They had nyloc nuts on them but they backed off about a full turn. I had never heard anything about this issue. Good thing I checked before heading to Santee in a week.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and to let other know to check this often.

By the way I have only had this boat about 3 years and the original owner never used the trailer.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Nylock nuts? Should be some kind of nuts with mechanical likes like cotter pins. Don’t even consider hitting the road without a pro taking care of this.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Yes I would think so, but it does not just nyloc nuts. Please some one else chime in and tell me weather this is from the factory or not. I could always put a jam nut on it as well. These are pretty big bolts. the head size is 15/16.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

We just went through the 2013-2018 Data Base and didn't have an owner registration with your name on it.

Please let us know the year model.

BCB

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Yes I would think so, but it does not just nyloc nuts. Please some one else chime in and tell me weather this is from the factory or not. I could always put a jam nut on it as well. These are pretty big bolts. the head size is 15/16.
    Get a pro to look at it or you will be sitting along the road with 3 wheels.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We just went through the 2013-2018 Data Base and didn't have an owner registration with your name on it.

Please let us know the year model.

BCB
    It is a 2012 bass cat puma ftd hull ID # basv110c212. I bought the boat in 2015. THe boat was originally bought from MARE in Fredricksburg VA
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    Tighten them snug then back off half a turn, and stick cotter pin in the spindle.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mulligans View Post
    Tighten them snug then back off half a turn, and stick cotter pin in the spindle.
    If I back off a half a turn they flop like crazy. I was only able to get about a full turn on them. That was using a 1/2 24" snapon breaker bar.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

If I back off a half a turn they flop like crazy. I was only able to get about a full turn on them. That was using a 1/2 24" snapon breaker bar.
    Snug the castle nut down until you feel resistance. Back it off to the first slot in the castle nut that exposes the hole in the spindle thread. Then install the cotter pin.
    The wheel should spin freely, but not be at all “loose” on the spindle. Or least that’s the way I’ve always done it.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Snug the castle nut down until you feel resistance. Back it off to the first slot in the castle nut that exposes the hole in the spindle thread. Then install the cotter pin.
    The wheel should spin freely, but not be at all “loose” on the spindle. Or least that’s the way I’ve always done it.
    I think most are misunderstanding me. The axle is splined. An arm is attached to the axle. I am calling it a trailing arm. This arm has a hole that is splined. This arm which is made as one piece (it appears to be) is attached to the spindle. The arm only attaches with 1 bolt to close the hole tight on the axle. This bolt has a 15/16 head and a nyloc nut. There is no castle nut. The bolt has no holes for a cotter pin.

So I am trying to find out is this from the factory like this? It does not appear to be aftermarket, or tampered with.

Is this a flawed design that has since been changed?

Keep the thoughts and comments coming.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

12. Member
    Also all 4 wheels were loose. 3 of the we're so loose that I cannot believe the splines held up. And I just towed the boat 4 hrs round trip to Gaston.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

13. Member
    Lost me on that one.i don't have the new torsion axles

Yes, this is the idler arms and splined shafts. The torque spec is 150 pounds on the idler bolts. That’s a pretty healthy range and hitting items (curbs, potholes and etc.) loosens the bolt by stretching the actual idler, or tweaking the splined shaft. That is usually the case and many returned, or replaced, idler splined receivers are even oblong in shape.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Yes, this is the idler arms and splined shafts. The torque spec is 150 pounds on the idler bolts. That’s a pretty healthy range and hitting items (curbs, potholes and etc.) loosens the bolt by stretching the actual idler, or tweaking the splined shaft. That is usually the case and many returned, or replaced, idler splined receivers are even oblong in shape.
    Ok so it is normal to use only a nyloc nut? So I guess this is routine maintenance?

Thanks for the insight and hopefully someone else will find information useful, as I myself had no idea of this issue.

Thanks again
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

16. Member
    Also do you recommend replacing the idler? If so how often? When replacing the idler do you have to replace the spindle? Hub?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Unfortunately this requires both idler and axles when they get worn like that. The idlers are bad from whatever, then the splined shafts get worn by the loose idlers compounding the problem.

18. Member
    So in 3 years all 4 idlers could be worn out? This sounds excessive. I am sorry but I have not heard anyone on this board talk about this issue. Either my problem is a unique situation or most people are not checking this.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

So in 3 years all 4 idlers could be worn out? This sounds excessive. I am sorry but I have not heard anyone on this board talk about this issue. Either my problem is a unique situation or most people are not checking this.
    I had new tires put on my 2012 last month. They guy at the tire shop told me all mine were loose. They tightened them up and I could tell a big difference. I guess I will start getting the tires rotated on the trailer once a year and the nuts tightened at that time. Just so you know it's not just a BC trailer. The tire shop told me another guy had his Legend in right before mine and his wheels were about to fall off also.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RipNLips View Post
    I had new tires put on my 2012 last month. They guy at the tire shop told me all mine were loose. They tightened them up and I could tell a big difference. I guess I will start getting the tires rotated on the trailer once a year and the nuts tightened at that time. Just so you know it's not just a BC trailer. The tire shop told me another guy had his Legend in right before mine and his wheels were about to fall off also.
    Thank you for the insight. I just could not believe that I was the only one with this problem. That is kind of what I was looking for. Is this a normal problem or something out of the norm.

Hopefully others will read this post.

Thanks again
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast