Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The bolt rides in a groove and prevents it from traveling off. The bolt rides on the cut notch in the splined shaft.

It can not come off, unless the bolt is removed.

This same assembly is on many other brands and most all upper scale trailers that are Vault hubs. Springs are less money, and they are what we preferred, though in recent years everyone was asking for torsion axles.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    https://heritagetrailers.com/sites/d.../torsion_1.jpg

This should give you and Idea. It was a search for a torsion axle by Dexter/UFP

BCB
    Thanks. I will get a torque wrench and make sure they are tight.

3. Member
    The bolt rides in a groove and prevents it from traveling off. The bolt rides on the cut notch in the splined shaft.

This same assembly is on many other brands and most all upper scale trailers that are Vault hubs. Springs are less money, and they are what we preferred, though in recent years everyone was asking for torsion axles.
    ok this makes sense. This also gives a little piece of mind that the wheel cannot fall off. I wonder though with all the slop has it worn the bolt or the axle much. I guess I need to pull the arms off and check.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

One thing for sure, nothing done here will fix it.

5. Member
    One thing for sure, nothing done here will fix it.
    To me it sounds like replacing the bolt with the proper grade and size bolt, and using a new self locking nut torqued to the proper specification should stop this issue. That is, if the parts haven't worn excessively due to being loose. Perhaps someone at the factory didn't properly torque them or the design is faulty.

6. Member
    I have heard from a couple people that during the 2012 time there was a problem at the trailer factory and the bolts did not get torqued properly. Only a couple people have complained about alot of slop. I think this could be true.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

Since the supervisor and staff was the same throughout this time in the department, and it is an extremely small crew, our thoughts have gone to the actual bolt itself. Of course can’t prove that the bolt is softer than it should have been, nor would UFP have known that as they are dealing with a vendor also.

Any consistency to looseness without some impacts and ovaled spline sockets we point to the actual bolt itself. We have torqued these at 150PSI for a long time and no doubt that could be an issue, though not consistently.

8. Member
    Well I guess I cant win for losing. After last weeks work on the trailer I took it about 8 miles down the road to get it inspected. Everything passed and as I was leaving I noticed a bad vibration in the trailer. After a 1/4 mile down the road I knew something was not right. I pulled over and found the left front trailer tire had 2 huge bubbles in the tire. I am guessing a belt broke. I guess it did not like the wheels being tight. I knew they were not in the best of condition due to the bad inner wear from the loose wheels. SO I just dropped $400. for 3 new tires and balancing. And there you have it.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. Member
    When it rains it pours! Hope you get your boat issues worked out soon. Fished Gaston this past weekend and my friends lower unit locked up. Always something!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    When it rains it pours! Hope you get your boat issues worked out soon. Fished Gaston this past weekend and my friends lower unit locked up. Always something!
    Yea I just rebuilt my lower 3 weeks ago, new gears, all seals, prop work etc. Plus oil pump and head. This boat is killing me.

I bought a couple rods off here and 1 came in broke today.

I guess it could always be worse.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

11. Member

Aren't the original posters bolts becoming loose? It can't come off unless the bolt is removed or it becomes loose and removes itself. I agree that it can't be fixed on here but I honestly appreciate his concern. He has made me aware of a possible hazard that I will surely keep an eye on. "Jinx"bass, you might want to change your username!

12. Member
    Why would I change my name? I love my boat. And I don't want to make anyone mad. I just stated an issue I was having. I personally do believe there was a more of a problem during the 2012-2013 timeframe but I can not prove this. If bass cat says it is normal then I will accept it. That is all I can do.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

13. Member
    Spot weld them

14. Member
    ARP bolts if you can get the right size. A little longer bolt if possible and double nut them. Is a thought. If it is still coming loose due to normal road and driving conditions IE pot holes. Stuff shouldn't bend or deform during normal use. Then there is a design flaw from the manufacturer and they need to redesigned simple as that.
    Last edited by lostone; 03-27-2018 at 09:21 PM.

They were referencing the name “Jinx”.

16. Member
    never caught that. Been living with that for 40+ years. My favorite number is 13. Maybe it just caught up with me
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostone View Post
    ARP bolts if you can get the right size. A little longer bolt if possible and double nut them. Is a thought. If it is still coming loose due to normal road and driving conditions IE pot holes. Stuff shouldn't bend or deform during normal use. Then there is a design flaw from the manufacturer and they need to redesigned simple as that.
    ARP bolts sound like a good idea. I am heading to Santee tomorrow, so when I get back I am going to find new bolts and nuts, locktite them and put a jam nut on it. Hopefully this will take care of the issue.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

18. Member
    I think I would buy one more tire if you have a duel axle trailer

19. Member
    So I torqued the bolts to 150 ft lbs. And went to Santee. When I got back I checked all 4 wheels. 3 out of the four wheels are loose. Now I am upset. So Everytime I go fishing I have got to Jack's the trailer up remove the wheels and tighten bolts. That is BS.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    So I torqued the bolts to 150 ft lbs. And went to Santee. When I got back I checked all 4 wheels. 3 out of the four wheels are loose. Now I am upset. So Everytime I go fishing I have got to Jack's the trailer up remove the wheels and tighten bolts. That is BS.
    First pull the bolt and make sure it isn't worn or damaged. If so, replace.
    Are the nuts worn? Check to make sure the threads are not marred.
    Are the nuts actually loosening? Bolt stretching? Nuts bottoming out? Check this.
    I have never disassembled the Torsion axle, though I do have a spare one, and vault hub.
    If all looks well.
    Reassemble it and apply Blue Loctite to the threads before installing the nut.
    Torque it down and let it dry for a few hours.

If I ever run into this issue, I will jack up the trailer until the wheels are off the ground, to remove the preload. Than do what I mentioned above.
    If nuts are backing off, throw some Loctite on them. Option of Blue (Removable) or Red (Not going to budge) Loctite.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast