Thread: 1978 Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1978 Champion

Hello everyone, New here.

I have an old 1978 Champion. It hadn't been used the last 4 to 5 years until 2 weeks ago. A buddy invited me on his bachelor party fishing trip. It was going to be a couple hundred dollars renting boats. Well, I have a boat, why rent one? So I didn't. I got it out, got it checked, and took it down. I expected the worst.... Well..... The best happened. It ran great (even with the wrong prop pitch). The 115hp Evinrude ran 32mph at about 3800-4000rpm (I know optimal is 5000, thats why I need a new prop) and didn't miss a single beat. So I decided to do a little work on it. It needs little things. A new trolling motor, Carpet replaced (debating on hydro turff or roll on flooring), and some wiring re done. Well, I started googling everything and I just can't find any info on it. I've seen 3 pics of boats similar, and they all came from this forum. So, My questions....

1. What on earth is this boat??? I've searched every thing about 1970s Champion boats and I can't get a name on it, what its actually called, or anything. Is it a Champion Python? is it just a 17' boat? I don't know. I know it's a 17' and it is a tri hull but need some guidance.
    2. Is it rare? Is it a good "fix it up and roll with it" rare? or a "sell immediately because there's no parts for it" rare?
    3. It needs flooring redone, gel coat restored, some wiring re done, and a new trolling motor. Is it worth it and what routes do you suggest???
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome!!! Hang on and some of our folks familiar with the older Champs will be along!

#1 its PAID for #2 can fix it cheaper than replacing with a new $30- $80 k boat. #3 looks decent in pic.

Original Champion tri-hull splashed from another tri-hull competitor. They were popular until the V hull came out and faded away by around 1980 or so. They are what they are, just an old tri-hull that aint bad to fish out of, runs ok, stable and will beat your brains out in rough water. The had issues with stress cracks in the middle of the hull. Not many left out there. I posted an example of it in the pinned Rare Champions in the top of this page. Here's the 1978 flyer http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....8689&highlight=

The python was the economy model.

6. Member
    Wow, thank you. I'm not saying it doesn't leak, but I was snagging in it last weekend for spoonbill and the bilge that I just replaced wouldn't spit put any water. So I'd say if it did, the leak is minimal. It mainly got used in Mark Twain lake the last 25 or so years. It got used, but that lake is small and mot many big boats get on it. Thank you for posting the flyer. I love it, but it's heavy. Should I be very worried about the stress fractures in the center of the hull?

7. Member
    Very true! Paid 2k for it about 7-8 years ago. Runs good. And yes, it's decent. Only problem is the carpet tearing up. It throws dust and chunks of glue particles in my eyes when cruising about 30mph. I was more so looking at buying a different used boat and not 30k for a new one haha.

Nah, if it hasn't broke by now it's not going to. That old rig is still doing what it was intended to do so use it. Bring it down to the Tournament of Champions Table Rock Lake 2018 this year and show the old girl off. We'd love to have you down and visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leipard308 View Post
    Wow, thank you. I'm not saying it doesn't leak, but I was snagging in it last weekend for spoonbill and the bilge that I just replaced wouldn't spit put any water. So I'd say if it did, the leak is minimal. It mainly got used in Mark Twain lake the last 25 or so years. It got used, but that lake is small and mot many big boats get on it. Thank you for posting the flyer. I love it, but it's heavy. Should I be very worried about the stress fractures in the center of the hull?

9. Member
    It’s probably worth $2500-3500 as it sits. If you like fishing out of it do a little work to it and keep it. If you want to step up to a good used v hull champion you will start around $6,000 or as deep as your pocket can go.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Nah, if it hasn't broke by now it's not going to. That old rig is still doing what it was intended to do so use it. Bring it down to the Tournament of Champions Table Rock Lake 2018 this year and show the old girl off. We'd love to have you down and visit.
    I may have to do that. Was just down trout fishing at Tanney 2 weekends ago. That was worthless. Made us feel terrible! 12 guys, 3 different boats. Tried trolling, jigging, power bait, fishing under docks, between all of us I'm not sure there's a style we missed. Caught 7 fish all weekend. What's the date on the champion tournament? May have to give her a try for fun. I'm not a tournament fishermen by any means. I enjoy a little bass fishing though. What do you suggest I do with my carpet situation? Roll on bed liner type stuff that's made for boats? Or hydro turf or seadek? I've contemplated all of it. Probably just going to do the bow deck, lids of the compartments, and back deck. The carpet in the floor is actually decent. Just the decks and lids ripping up.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    It’s probably worth $2500-3500 as it sits. If you like fishing out of it do a little work to it and keep it. If you want to step up to a good used v hull champion you will start around $6,000 or as deep as your pocket can go.
    That's kind of what I thought. I may do some work to it then. For what I use it for, it'll work good. A little crappie fishing here and there, snagging with 2 buddies down around Stover, and may go bass fishing a time or two. But I need to get an aluminum boat for duck hunting and bow fishing. Just haven't wanted to dump the cash into one because I can't afford the one I want. I'll be in one 15-20k before I'm done with it. So for now... this old bass boat will do all I need haha.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChampioNOwners/
    Made a lot of good friends at this tourney over the years. It's low key family fun, no pressure and for a great cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Leipard308 View Post
    I may have to do that. Was just down trout fishing at Tanney 2 weekends ago. That was worthless. Made us feel terrible! 12 guys, 3 different boats. Tried trolling, jigging, power bait, fishing under docks, between all of us I'm not sure there's a style we missed. Caught 7 fish all weekend. What's the date on the champion tournament? May have to give her a try for fun. I'm not a tournament fishermen by any means. I enjoy a little bass fishing though. What do you suggest I do with my carpet situation? Roll on bed liner type stuff that's made for boats? Or hydro turf or seadek? I've contemplated all of it. Probably just going to do the bow deck, lids of the compartments, and back deck. The carpet in the floor is actually decent. Just the decks and lids ripping up.

13. Member
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChampioNOwners/
    Made a lot of good friends at this tourney over the years. It's low key family fun, no pressure and for a great cause.
    Sounds great! I'll try and get down there! Just sent my request to join the Facebook group! Thank you!

14. Member
    Bring her down to the TOC in Oct. We would love to see it and meet you It's a great weekend of fishing, socializing and raising money for a good cause
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

15. Member
    I had one just like it, same color and all. It was my first fiberglass bass boat. It had the lounge seats up front with a tower of power 90hp Merc on the back. Roughest riding boat I was ever in, but caught fish. I removed the tube rails off of it and still have them at home. I will say this, it was the best pulling rig I have had. That ChampioN trailer pulled like a dream. Id enjoy the old girl and smile every time is was in it.
    Jonathan Graber
    Atlanta, IL

1995 Champion 204 DCX
    1999 Mercury 225 EFI

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    I had one just like it, same color and all. It was my first fiberglass bass boat. It had the lounge seats up front with a tower of power 90hp Merc on the back. Roughest riding boat I was ever in, but caught fish. I removed the tube rails off of it and still have them at home. I will say this, it was the best pulling rig I have had. That ChampioN trailer pulled like a dream. Id enjoy the old girl and smile every time is was in it.
    It definetally pulls easy! There's no doubt about that! I love that. I had not noticed it being rough, but that's because I have never owned one that's smooth, and I've only ran it on smooth water for the most part.

17. Member
    One question, how do I use the live wells? I haven't needed them, but was curious how to make them stay sealed while running?

Oh lord. They're probably the manual plug method. A picture would help.

19. Member
    Oh lord. They're probably the manual plug method. A picture would help.
    That's what I thought. It has an aerator, but looks like a manual plug in the bottom would work best. I'll get a pic and post again at a later date. Thank you.

You bet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast