Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I知 looking hard at tritons for my next boat, question?

There痴 been a lot of talk about chin walking in tritons. I was wondering if the newer models have the same issues. I知 looking at both the trx19 and trx20.
    Charley
    2019 Phoenix 919 PRO XP
    225 pro XS 4 stroke mercury 24p fury
    model # 12250033A
    motor serial # 2B599078

2. Member
    They are super easy to drive

I have a 2018 TRX 18 with a 200 Pro Xs, I’m still working on the engine height which seems to be the major change to reduce walk. I’m fine until about 60 then it starts and gets worse and so far I back out at 63. If you prop it right, get engine height right, I’m confident it can be overcome and mine is better with 2 people in it than it is with 1, so balance is important.
    Everyone will tell you it’s just seat time and learning to drive it, maybe, but it answers your question do they walk and the answer is yes but can be sorted.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

they're a Triton
    They will walk
    However, proper boat set up and weight distribution goes a long way to lessen it

The TRX19 & TRX20 hulls are based on the wider easier hulls to drive

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

5. Member
    Just like riding a bike...when you 1st try balance is not that easy. After awhile you don't even think about it. Once you learn you won't be able to make it chine walk.

If you get a slow one, it won't chine walk!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

7. Member
    Don't let the intimidation factor in your decision. Like said. A bike. You will love either and think. . Man I'm glad I didn't let the chine walk scare me away. They will all walk if you are running them right, They say. A 22' ranger would walk if you could get enough power to it.

8. Member
    This maybe off a bit, but I’ve seen videos of boats chine walking and the water is slick, calm. How is it when there’s a small chop on the lake. I’m not intimidated at all. I’ve own a boat for 30 years now, and 14yrs on the one I have now. Pretty sure it won’t take long to catch on. I also would like an evinrude on it if I can.
    Charley
    2019 Phoenix 919 PRO XP
    225 pro XS 4 stroke mercury 24p fury
    model # 12250033A
    motor serial # 2B599078

9. Member
    I’m also new to these bigger boat and the chine walk thing.. only had the boat 3 months last year ..right about 65-68 my 17 20TRX starts walking .. still trying to figure it out also.. PTP is at 2.5” ...hoping to figure this out this year ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

10. Member
    the 20 trx isn't an hp hull and requires very little "driver skills"
    GET THE NET. IT\'S A GIANT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    If you get a slow one, it won't chine walk!
    But Tritons aren't slow !!!

Chine walk is the Boogie Man of bass boats. Fact is, any high performance bass boat with a pad hull can, and will, chine walk if pushed fast enough. Its pretty much physics. Designing a hull is a trade off. You can make it faster for a given weight and size but then it may be less stable and require more driver input. Conversely, a more stable boat may not achieve the same top speed. I think earlier Tritons were narrower and designed for higher top speeds so they tended to be more prone to chine walk. While today's TRX series boats are still pretty fast, feedback here indicates that they are more stable than earlier boats.

Long story short, chine walk would not come into consideration for me when considering a new TRX.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Member
    I've owned 4 Tritons. This current one (20XS-250proxs) was bought by a guy that ran Rangers for years. After owning the Triton for 2 years and only putting 25 hours on it he sold it to me because he was sure something was wrong with it. His top speed was 70. During our test drive I ran it straight down the river at 75 mph. He almost didn't want to sell it after I showed him how to "shake" the wheel back and forth and rocket like an arrow!!!

14. Member
    Never had a Triton to chine walk.

Quote Originally Posted by tritondude View Post
    But Tritons aren't slow !!!
    Mine is, only hits 66 or so WOT. I rarely run it over 60.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

16. Member
    I watched a video about a guy,dealer talking about the trx19. He said they used to chim walk but the new ones are good. He said a 14 year old could drive them. He also said the trx 18 with the 200 on her would run 70 to 74 depending on how you set the boat up. Is this true? I really want one so iv been trying to do some reasearch so if someone can back that stuff up hope that helps you.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasman View Post
    There’s been a lot of talk about chin walking in tritons. I was wondering if the newer models have the same issues. I’m looking at both the trx19 and trx20.
    Make sure you look at a Phoenix first.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hendrick View Post
    Make sure you look at a Phoenix first.
    why ? The Phoenix people copied a stratos which the triton was a updated gen of stratos already ,
    they weren't even smart enough to move the name on the side of the hull.
    at least they quit putting grandmas lazy Suzan under the deck for storage. I hope anyway
    did you ever have issues with a triton?

the new tritons don't chine walk like the older hulls did , but chine walk just means your running on the edge of the best performance

19. Member
    Not going into it, gets me in trouble.

The 18 Trx is a sweet machine. Can get over 70 no problem with 2 people and huge load of tackle. Can also go over 60 on rough water that I wouldn’t dare go over 40 in my ranger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast