Any surf fishing Experts ?

Heading down to wrightsville Beach NC in the next few weeks and we are staying right on the beach and I should have some time to sneak out and do some surf fishing. I have zero experience surf fishing and limited saltwater knowledge. Bought a beginner 9' diawa combo and was looking if anyone has any tips. looking for more numbers than size and everything I read it looks like the three way swivel/ live bait with a large sinker rig is the way to go. Any tips would be appreciated !!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pureoil313 View Post
    Heading down to wrightsville Beach NC in the next few weeks and we are staying right on the beach and I should have some time to sneak out and do some surf fishing. I have zero experience surf fishing and limited saltwater knowledge. Bought a beginner 9' diawa combo and was looking if anyone has any tips. looking for more numbers than size and everything I read it looks like the three way swivel/ live bait with a large sinker rig is the way to go. Any tips would be appreciated !!!
    Did you have a certain species in mind that you wanted to fish for? Waters going to be cold til may or so. Not sure how much luck you will have. But if you're not picky about what you catch, a double bottom rig with 5" long strips of squid will catch you just about anything.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Double bottom rig with as little weight as possible. As close to 1 ounce as you can get away with. Right behind the breakers. Freshest bait you can get, shrimp probably best. Hopefully the blues will be in by then. You'll probably get some skates either way. First couple are fun then it's just annoying, lol. Your set up is just fine. Make a sand spike out of a piece of PVC to set the rod in while you wait. Hopefully I'll get out to Carolina Beach tomorrow afternoon and get you a better report of anything around.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

4. Member
    I throw a c-rig with squid or cut bait or shrimp you can catch just about anything on it. One thing i did learn about it, you do not need a big hook to catch ocean fish lol

A guy I work with is going next month and he said his son has a drone that will take your line out way past casting distance.