Banned

running 2 batteries in series, do I need 60amp breaker on both positives???

I know I have to have a circuit breaker on & near + terminal on battery on left in picture (that runs to TM), but do i need one on & near the + terminal on battery on right in picture (it goes over & connects to negative post on battery on left)???
    also, I'm thinking of hard wiring TM to batteries, instead of using a plug. Not sure if that comes into the equation or not.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No, just on one. Hard wiring the TM would affect your breaker choice. If you hard wire, you need a breaker that is designed to serve as a disconnect switch as well so you can remove power from the TM when charging.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    No, just on one. Hard wiring the TM would affect your breaker choice. If you hard wire, you need a breaker that is designed to serve as a disconnect switch as well so you can remove power from the TM when charging.
    the 2 breakers on boat now for the TM batteries are these type:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 03-20-2018 at 11:23 AM.

4. Member
    If you have a plug, that breaker is OK. If you are "hardwired" then you need the one like that, except with a cut off button.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If you have a plug, that breaker is OK. If you are "hardwired" then you need the one like that, except with a cut off button.
    John

I never disconnected my TM on my old boats, ever. Left it plugged in while charging. Never had a problem. It was an old MK Maxxum.

Now, however, I have an Ulterra on the new boat. I don't want to do anything to damage it, but - could someone explain why we are supposed to disconnect it from the batteries when charging?

6. Member
    This was John's explanation on another forum:

"As mentioned in a post above, the digital trolling motors (both Motorguide and MinnKota) should be disconnected from power while in "storage" between fishing trips. These motors if left connected are constantly drawing voltage. This will allow them to draw a battery down over a period of time. Also, since they are always on, the voltage going to the control board is what the battery is seeing. On a 36V trolling motor, the control boards can handle around 40V (3 x 13.5V). Charge voltage many times can be around 14.5 which would be 43.5V that the control boards see and this could cause a control board to go bad. Same theory holds true for 24V motors. Also, there is the safety issue.
    John"
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    I see. Makes sense. Thanks!

8. Banned
    Ended up using a Eaton Bussmann TB400-2 connector to hardwire tm, and the 60amp with manual breaker, that came with boat, for a shutoff option.
    IMG_20180323_50517.jpg
    IMG_20180323_43684.jpg