Thread: 208 vs 520

208 vs 520

Looking at rangers and wondering what the difference between the 208 series and 520 series is. I've had a 520VX and that's what I'm leaning towards, but don't want to rule out the 208 if it is comparable. Thanks!

2. Member
    If I remember right the 208 was just a re-badged 520VX. I think they sold it for a year and then discontinued it. It should be the same as your original 520VX. Here's a Boat-Test video: http://www.boattest.com/review/ranger-boats/1904_208-vx
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

Thank you.

4. Member
    The two boats may be the same, but I think when it comes down to it more people relate to the 520 being the flagship. Down the road when you decide to sell this could become a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbrent519 View Post
    The two boats may be the same, but I think when it comes down to it more people relate to the 520 being the flagship. Down the road when you decide to sell this could become a factor.

That's a good point.

I believe that they are very similar, but a few things different, I would have to find my Ranger brochure, to know for certain, but I am sure some one will along to set it straight, I will look for the brochure when I get a minute
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

I've had the 520vx Comanche and now have the 208vx. I believe there is a 2" difference is length ( in the set back/splash well ) and the 520 has more "Eye Candy" with some trim pieces and wood grain. Mine has had a few "add-ons" to spruce it up, lol !! ALso, iI believe the color options were fewer too. As far as ride, style, accessories, they're pretty much the same. I thoroughly enjoy my 208 as much as I did my 520 !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I've had the 520vx Comanche and now have the 208vx. I believe there is a 2" difference is length ( in the set back/splash well ) and the 520 has more "Eye Candy" with some trim pieces and wood grain. Mine has had a few "add-ons" to spruce it up, lol !! ALso, iI believe the color options were fewer too. As far as ride, style, accessories, they're pretty much the same. I thoroughly enjoy my 208 as much as I did my 520 !
    Thanks, good to know. Now I have a few more options to look at. Is the layout of the boxes the same as your 520?

Quote Originally Posted by crashxx View Post
    Thanks, good to know. Now I have a few more options to look at. Is the layout of the boxes the same as your 520?
    Yes, they are.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    I was told years ago that the 520 mold was updated at some point, and the 208 is the original 520 hull. Don't know how accurate that statement is.

Same hull, different top caps.

12. Member
    I had the same question several years ago when buying a Ranger 520VX. I contacted Ranger and they told me the hull on both boats are identical. Top cap is slightly different, with the rear deck being slightly larger on the 208. The other difference is the angle of the transom on the 208 is slightly angled at a different degree to cause boat to ride lower when on plane. Other than that they are identical and both great boats. I had the 520VX for several years. Best bassboat Ranger ever made. Put a Trophy Plus on it and it will outrun and out handle any other Ranger boat made.