Question on set up

I have a Helix 10 Mega SI on the console networked to a Helix 7 DI at the bow on my G3 aluminum boat. I have not installed the transom transducer yet. I would like to mount it high to hopefully keep it in one piece when running shallow water. Doing this I know I would need to Y cable to a second 2d transducer for on plane depth. I have been thinking about skipping that and running an in dash flasher with transom transducer to give me running depth. Am I thinking crazy? Would there be any drawbacks to doing this?

Some do that with LCR units.
    Depends on the sonar frequency of the flasher. If the flasher has 200 kHz, they will cross-talk (if the flasher is 192 kHz, it may cross-talk also). BUT there isn't any startup time for a flasher so you can turn that off when at idle speed scanning with the Helix.

No drawbacks except turning the unit on and off.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I'm looking at the Vexilar unit that runs at 200 kHz. Can I shut off the 2d on the Helix 10 or switch it to 83 kHz to alleviate the cross talk?

Quote Originally Posted by WIGrizzly View Post
    I'm looking at the Vexilar unit that runs at 200 kHz. Can I shut off the 2d on the Helix 10 or switch it to 83 kHz to alleviate the cross talk?
    The Helix uses 200 kHz all the time for the depth readout. When you "switch" to 83 kHz, you just turn that on in addition to 200 kHz. Yes you can turn Sonar OFF, but don't need to.

If you have the SI transducer above the bottom of the hull, the two units will not cross-talk when on plane. Only when off plane would they cross-talk. The flasher would be the only one you would need to turn on/off.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Perfect. Thank you