Lead acid vs agm

What’s the pros and cons of lead acid vs agm other than price for trolling batteries? All I’ve ever had was lead acid and I’ve been thinking of swapping my trolling batteries to agm while Sams has them on sell if the benefits outweigh the cost difference.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I am no expert, but the basic difference is that lead acid batteries lose charge strength gradually, while AGM retains full strength for a longer period and then flatlines when the charge is gone. The kind of use you typically encounter for your trolling batteries may determine which type is better for you. And of course, AGM don’t need water added. On the advice of my dealer, I run AGM for cranking battery—because I want full strength to crank the big motor, and because I have a jump-start module on my boat—but use lead acid for trolling batteries because a gradual loss of power gives me a heads-up that I may need to keep an eye on battery condition to get through the day. I also run 3 trolling batteries, which makes the cost differential greater between the 2 battery types. With 36 volts, I am unlikely to ever deplete my trolling batteries in one day’s fishing, so the AGM as a trolling battery has no advantage for me, other than not adding water once a year.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I am no expert, but the basic difference is that lead acid batteries lose charge strength gradually, while AGM retains full strength for a longer period and then flatlines when the charge is gone. The kind of use you typically encounter for your trolling batteries may determine which type is better for you. And of course, AGM don’t need water added. On the advice of my dealer, I run AGM for cranking battery—because I want full strength to crank the big motor, and because I have a jump-start module on my boat—but use lead acid for trolling batteries because a gradual loss of power gives me a heads-up that I may need to keep an eye on battery condition to get through the day. I also run 3 trolling batteries, which makes the cost differential greater between the 2 battery types. With 36 volts, I am unlikely to ever deplete my trolling batteries in one day’s fishing, so the AGM as a trolling battery has no advantage for me, other than not adding water once a year.
    I agree and have the same set up for the same reasons.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    AGMs are lead acid batteries. The difference is that the electrolyte on an AGM is absorbed into a glass mat between the plates instead of being free to flow around the plates. That's both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Because the electrolyte can't flow freely, it takes more plates to produce high current for starting. An AGM of the same capacity as a conventional flooded cell will weigh about 10% more than the flooded cell.

An AGM has lower internal resistance which reduces self-discharge and results in more efficient charging.

An AGM is much more resistant to sulfation, which kills battery capacity. An AGM will generally have longer cycle life than a conventional flooded cell, but how many cycles and the difference between the batteries depends on how you are using them.

As a cranking battery on a bass boat, AGMs are hard to beat. Because of the way they are made, they can supply cranking power and reserve capacity for running electronics and pumps while fishing and they recharge faster when running the outboard.

For trolling applications, the advantages aren't as strong. If you fish a lot, fish in curcumstances where you can't recharge every day, often fish long days where you deeply discharge the batteries or are otherwise rough on batteries, then AGMs may be the best choice. The sale on the Dekas at Sam's tilts the scale toward them. Other AGMs at about 3 times the price of flooded cells are probably no bargain for TM use.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    AGMs are lead acid batteries. The difference is that the electrolyte on an AGM is absorbed into a glass mat between the plates instead of being free to flow around the plates. That's both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Because the electrolyte can't flow freely, it takes more plates to produce high current for starting. An AGM of the same capacity as a conventional flooded cell will weigh about 10% more than the flooded cell.

An AGM has lower internal resistance which reduces self-discharge and results in more efficient charging.

An AGM is much more resistant to sulfation, which kills battery capacity. An AGM will generally have longer cycle life than a conventional flooded cell, but how many cycles and the difference between the batteries depends on how you are using them.

As a cranking battery on a bass boat, AGMs are hard to beat. Because of the way they are made, they can supply cranking power and reserve capacity for running electronics and pumps while fishing and they recharge faster when running the outboard.

For trolling applications, the advantages aren't as strong. If you fish a lot, fish in curcumstances where you can't recharge every day, often fish long days where you deeply discharge the batteries or are otherwise rough on batteries, then AGMs may be the best choice. The sale on the Dekas at Sam's tilts the scale toward them. Other AGMs at about 3 times the price of flooded cells are probably no bargain for TM use.
    This is spot on. One other thing....if you have AGM batteries you have to have a charger capable of charging them.
    At least we had 1987....

CatFan, thanks for the battery info. You always provide clear explanations about batteries and their nuances.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

I've always run AGM's for Trolling and starting for the convenience of never having to add water, the cleanliness of no acid burn off, and the warrantee. I've also been running a Troll Bridge, which charges the Trolling batteries when the big motor is running, on this latest boat Works like a charm !! Last 4 day trip, I never plugged in the charger after a day on the lake, and had plenty of battery all day, each day !! PLUS, if my starting battery is low, it will automatically "borrow" juice from the TM batteries to get me running ! I have a standard DuoPro Ranger charger and have never had an issue with charging the AGM's either
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    I have three lead acid batteries in my boat (2 TM, 1 Starter). They work fine but when they die I will replace with AGM because of the very tight battery compartment. It is a real hassle to check the water level on the last TM battery because it is positioned in the very back of the compartment with no way to get to the top of the battery except to remove the starter and 1st TM battery then slide the last battery out. AGMs are maintenance free and can even be laid on their sides if need be.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step