Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Wrecked boat last week!!!

Last week my boat was in an accident but luckily no other vehicles were involved and no one was hurt . My boat is a 2017 Ranger Z520. The boat and trailer flew off the road and went airborne for around 50ft and when they hit the ground the boat became detached from the trail and was airborne for another 50ft . when the boat hit the ground it hit engine first and broke the skeg and also bent the entire mounting bracket and jack plate and the engine sits sideways now. My question is would the force of the impact and damage to the engine and mounting brackets could it of caused damage to the transom? There is gel cracks on top of the transom and cracks on the corners after the impact. Also from the impact could it of caused damage to the hull that can not be seen from the outside? I’m very concerned that they will not total my boat and worried there is more damage to the internal fiberglass. Any recommendations of what to do or say to the insurance company for legal advice? As I don’t think the cost to fix will make to total amount to total but really worried about down the road with possible damage to the transom and internal hull damage as it’s a new boat.

Thank you: Kenny

2. Member
    I just dealt with a similar but different situation with state farm, no issues they just wanted estimates and sent checks when I turned in estimates. They did not total it but ended up about 31k in total damages.

3. Member
    Ya thinking my damage total might be around 35,000 to 40,000. But worried about latter when it starts to gel crack because of accident. Sucks to wreck a new boat even if it’s not your fault.

4. Member
    Just went through very similar wreck and was totaled for agreed value. Pays to get insurance through BBC sponsor.

Hate to hear that about your boat!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    You seem to have run out of luck in an instant. If it was me, I'd talk to my insurance agent and try to get the boat totalled, and get far away from it fast. I'd sure not want to buy a rig with that kind of damage visible, not counting what you can't see.

7. Member
    My curiosity is killing me. Why did your boat and trailer fly off the road? How did it become detached?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    My curiosity is killing me. Why did your boat and trailer fly off the road? How did it become detached?

wondering the same thing and sounds like multiple others have had this happen????!.........

Unfortunately this is when you find out how good your insurance is!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

First time I've heard of a Ranger "flying" anywhere :)

Insurance should use a marine surveyor to determine damage such as your describing. If they determine its repairable, I would insist that the boat go to the Ranger factory for repair.

12. Banned
    I've had 4 boats totaled,
    2 in onroad accidents, and 2 burned in a garage fire.

DEMAND that your insurance company totals it!!!
    if they won't, then have them sign a clause, where if anything happens, while your flying around on the lake at 60mph, that is related to the possible "unseen" damage on the boat from the accident, THEY ARE LIABLE FOR IT! That's EXACTLY what I did on one of my claims, and they considered it totaled next day!............GUARANTEE THEY WILL CONSIDER IT TOTALED BEFORE SIGNING THAT PAPER!! !

13. Member
    I really appreciate all the info from everyone. I’m hoping they will have the estimate done by the end of the week. I will let you all know what comes of it when I here from the insurance co.

Thanks

14. Banned
    here's a great way to see if there are strees cracks on at least the outside of the hull..........In a dark place, at night outside, or inside with lights off, shine a flashlight down each side of the boat.........if there are stress carcks, even minor surface ones, they will become VERY VERY noticeable! That's how I decided to demand a total on one of mine. It was by accident. I was where the boat was being stored, and lights were off in the buiding, and we were using a flashlight to go to the boat and overhead lights, and when I shined the flashlight onto the boat, it was ridiculous how many spider cracks were EVERYWHERE down each side.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I've had 4 boats totaled,
    2 in onroad accidents, and 2 burned in a garage fire.

DEMAND that your insurance company totals it!!!
    if they won't, then have them sign a clause, where if anything happens, while your flying around on the lake at 60mph, that is related to the possible "unseen" damage on the boat from the accident, THEY ARE LIABLE FOR IT! That's EXACTLY what I did on one of my claims, and they considered it totaled next day!............GUARANTEE THEY WILL CONSIDER IT TOTALED BEFORE SIGNING THAT PAPER!! !
    This is a good idea.

Make note to self, DO NOT LET OHIOCHAMP183 ANYWHERE NEAR MY BOAT

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stephens View Post
    I agree. My old Sprint looks like the motor is barely hanging on in the daylight. If I did that you could see daylight thru the cracks.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stephens View Post

I will say, none of them were close to being my fault...

19. Banned
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I had a 1996 461 VS that was hit from behind but she missed the motor and hit the starboard side. I took mine to a glass shop. They repaired it with no issues later. Good luck to you sir.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    dang,me too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast