Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Moderator
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    My curiosity is killing me. Why did your boat and trailer fly off the road? How did it become detached?
    Hitch pin "worked loose".

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    No, and they won’t keep a trailer hitched to a two vehicle. Read the OPs post.
    Sounds like the boat AND the trailer left the road. As in came unhooked from the tow vehicle.
    Per the OP,
    The boat and trailer flew off the road and went airborne for around 50ft and when they hit the ground the boat became detached from the trail and was airborne for another 50ft .
    I'm also puzzled. Even if the ball came off the hitch, what about the safety chains? Not intending to bust on the OP but if there's a lesson to be learned to prevent this occurrence, I'm all ears.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Why doesn’t matter, you all know what potentially can cause this accident. Why embarrass ones self revealing details which the insurance company could infer your liable for in some fashion. Either way they should cover it, though why open Pandora’s box.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 03-23-2018 at 10:25 PM.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Wy doesn’t matter, you all know what potentially can cause this accident. Why embarrass ones self revealing details which the insurance company could infer your liable for in some fashion. Either way they should cover it, though why open Pandora’s box.
    ^^^EXACTLY^^^

6. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    The OP is going through enough dealing with a potentially totaled boat and an insurance company. If he wants to tell the whole story that's on him. Might be too embarrassed to say exactly what caused it and that's fine. First time I pulled my boat with my current vehicle I was using one of these for the hitch pin. When I got home from the lake 10 miles away the "locker" on the end was sticking straight out and ready to work loose. Went back to something I could put a real lock through after that. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Curt-Manu...h-Pin/48361160
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

It was probably just a simple mistake that all of us have made in the past, but got lucky and didn't end up in the shoes of the OP due to sheer luck.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Wy doesn’t matter, you all know what potentially can cause this accident. Why embarrass ones self revealing details which the insurance company could infer your liable for in some fashion. Either way they should cover it, though why open Pandora’s box.
    sorry i looked at it more like he wanted to post the story here to talk about it. it doesnt actually matter, but I too was curious

Hey Rip how did this accident occur?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    I'm also puzzled. Even if the ball came off the hitch, what about the safety chains? Not intending to bust on the OP but if there's a lesson to be learned to prevent this occurrence, I'm all ears.
    See post #31. Safety chains from trailer to truck. Bow strap and safety chain attached, transom straps attached.

A couple mornings ago on the interstate going through the city---- an empty flatbed utility trailer came off the back of a pick up. Crossed the median and into the south bound lanes. A car tried to swerve to miss it and rolled. All caught on camera by an Uber car.

Empty----- why didn't the chains prevent this? Because they don't 80% of the time. It is false security, and makes the operator feel good. But no matter the reason, that operator will be in court and hopefully has enough coverage.

11. Member
    Holy crap! You must be unluckiest guy in Ohio! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I've had 4 boats totaled,
    2 in onroad accidents, and 2 burned in a garage fire.

DEMAND that your insurance company totals it!!!
    if they won't, then have them sign a clause, where if anything happens, while your flying around on the lake at 60mph, that is related to the possible "unseen" damage on the boat from the accident, THEY ARE LIABLE FOR IT! That's EXACTLY what I did on one of my claims, and they considered it totaled next day!............GUARANTEE THEY WILL CONSIDER IT TOTALED BEFORE SIGNING THAT PAPER!! !

12. Member
    Long story how it happened but will try to keep short. One of my friend that was pulling my boat works at a marina and never ever takes his hitch out because he takes boats to and from the lake every day for test runs. He had just taken 2 boats for runs the prior day. Well after he got off work he had went to a couple of locations shopping and we are thinking maybe someone was going to steel the receiver and ended up just getting the keeper pin off before possibly getting caught and ran off. The following day we were heading to the lake all hooked and 20 miles later the receiver pulled out from the hitch and boat pulled and pushed us across the center into oncoming traffic and we almost rolled the truck as this was happening. As the boat pulled back the last time as we were trying to stop both safety chains broke and trailer brakes never worked. Thank goodness the boat went to the right and flew off the road into a field when the trailer hit the ground the boat flew another 50ft by itself. All and all glad no one was hurt and yes pretty depressing that my boat was only 10mth old. Tough story to write about!!!!

13. Member
    Thank gawd you guys and others weren't hurt. Tough lesson but you need to get a locking pin. Buddy of mine almost had a similar experience but his normal walk around allowed him to catch it.

14. Banned
    Wow!! What a wild episode!

Wow! is right, glad you are ok.

16. Member
    Thanks for the insight Rip-N-Lip. My almost story involves teaching my grandson to hook up the trailer. He had done well several times and I got complacent, didn't check it myself. About 1/2 mile down the road I heard the hitch rattling more than normal. I immediately stopped and checked it. He didn't latch the hitch.

Hope your boat gets restored to 100% quickly.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Before summer is over----

There will be another member posting that safety chains will keep a trailer attached to the truck----- Straps and safety chain will keep a boat on a trailer.

And now--------------- Anyone that has followed this thread knows------ They won't.

18. Member
    Here are the few things I have gleaned from this thread.

1. Accidents happen. In a hurry, let someone else attach boat to trailer or tow vehicle, don't double check EVERYTHIGN before leaving, mechanical failures, human errors.

2. Towing a boat / trailer with a vehicle that cannot maintain control of said boat or trailer in the event of detach. ( a 1 ton vehicle or greater has a much better chance of controlling a bass boat trailer when it has become detached due to its weight).

3. Driving a boat/trailer at a speed over 60 mph greatly enhances the chances of a roll over of vehicle or trailer when things go wrong.

4. Depending on a small cable to prevent total detach is probably not a good idea.

5. We pay for insurance in case we have ACCIDENTS

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stephens View Post
    Make note to self, DO NOT LET OHIOCHAMP183 ANYWHERE NEAR MY BOAT
    I agree...don't even show him a picture...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

20. Member
    ^^^You just showed him a picture of yours in your signature

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast