Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G3 vs Ranger vs ??? Aluminum Center Console bass rigs!! Help!

So I recently sold my Ranger 521vx when I moved from east of Dallas, I now live west of Fort Worth and have some decent lakes around me, but I feel naked without a rig to go out in. I have plenty of buddies who I can hitch rides with when I head out to fish big water like Lake Fork and all that which is awesome. I have nothing out this way though.

I was kicking the idea around of maybe getting into a 18” Aluminum center console and rigging it really nice with a Ultrex and Poles maybe a jack plate, I will primarly bass and crappie fish but with the aluminum boat I have more options if I want to take it out to duck hunt some public water.

Has anyone bass fished out of one of these? I've fished out of a old aluminum but know they have come a LONG way since then. My main scare is the fishing quality once you put the trolling motor down, I would think the heavy foam filled ranger would be more stable. I do like the layout of the G3 better though.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

2. Not Banned
    Which G3 vs which Ranger?

3. Banned

Don't know about the center console. The Rt 188/198 both fish like a glass boat . They both come in camo.
    2016 RT 188

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverFox View Post
    Which G3 vs which Ranger?
    Ranger MPV 1862CC vs the G3 Gatortough 18CC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    Man, those are nice! Look expensive! Lol

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=882588

Another option, comes in smaller sizes. Lol

I would definitely throw Xpress into the equation. They make a fine boat and have been making aluminum boats for a very long time. I have a friend on the lake we live on that has a Xpress center console that is about 17-18 feet, no carpet, and about a 70HP Yamaha. It is a very nice fishing boat.

In your first post you mentioned wanting "Poles" plural. That leaves out a lot of manufacturers - IF you want to keep the hull warranty in force. My suggestion... Carefully read the warranty requirements and if you choose something they are not clear about, I would get their blessing in an email or letter or something.

Personally, I will probably stay with an aluminum hull because of fiberglass blisters (I had boats with them twice) unless a manufacturer comes along that is confident enough in their process to warranty against getting fiberglass blisters. With present aluminum offerings, my choice will probably be Xpress....if I change boats. I would recommend giving them a look.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Not Banned
    Pretty similar boats looks like. The Ranger is basically a Triton with a Ranger nameplate. Nothing wrong with that. I owned a Triton aluminum for a while and it was a decent boat. G3 makes a great boat. I own one currently. Couldn't be happier.

I can tell you when I compared the G3 with the Ranger and Triton in their aluminum bass boat offerings, there was no comparison for me. The G3 had more of my wants and appeared better built... more finished product. It's not perfect by any means but I preferred it over the others.

Another plus for me was G3 is owned by Yamaha... so Yamaha makes the boat, the motor and they own the company who makes the trailer if you get the standard offering.

10. Member
    Good luck in your search. I will be looking for the same style in the next few years. Tough pill to swallow that these 18' tin boats with 115s are pushing 30k out the door, but at least with the center console, there's a variety of fishing options.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbev13 View Post
    Man, those are nice! Look expensive! Lol
    It's up to you how much it cost. GT is 100% custom but more affordable than people think. Just don't get carried away with all the bells and whistles and you can own a real nice GT for less than you might believe. Plus they're built to last FOREVER so it'll be your last boat...

AND you could buy one used to save some coin but get a boat that will out live you and hold it's value better than any Ranger...

AND when your kids sell the boat after you die they can still get enough $$ for it to pay for your funeral...

AND still have enough $$ to put a down payment on a Ranger...if Ranger is still in business.

Just sayin'

12. Member
    Add Seaark and War Eagle Blackhawks and Excel to the center console mix. I do like the GatorTrax also.

If duck hunting, I would avoid carpet.

I've got a low deck Blackhawk 21' boat, it is very stable, and with a 21 deg deadrise, rides very well.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I would definitely throw Xpress into the equation. They make a fine boat and have been making aluminum boats for a very long time. I have a friend on the lake we live on that has a Xpress center console that is about 17-18 feet, no carpet, and about a 70HP Yamaha. It is a very nice fishing boat.

In your first post you mentioned wanting "Poles" plural. That leaves out a lot of manufacturers - IF you want to keep the hull warranty in force. My suggestion... Carefully read the warranty requirements and if you choose something they are not clear about, I would get their blessing in an email or letter or something.

Personally, I will probably stay with an aluminum hull because of fiberglass blisters (I had boats with them twice) unless a manufacturer comes along that is confident enough in their process to warranty against getting fiberglass blisters. With present aluminum offerings, my choice will probably be Xpress....if I change boats. I would recommend giving them a look.
    Those xpress CC bay boats are bad ass.

14. Banned
    SeaArk has a bunch of CC options

15. Member
    I had a G3 1860 CCT Deluxe. It was a good boat. It was great to fish rivers out of. The flat bottom was hell on a lake with a little chop. Your teeth fillings would pop out the ride was so rough. That boat did many things for me and never let me down. I ended up selling it because there wasn't enough room and storage for what I like to do. I ended up getting a Ranger RP190 bay boat. It does everything the G3 did...but better. More storage, bigger livewell, more seating, more room, fishes better, rides like a glass boat, and doesn't tilt to the left side when running down the lake. Just about every G3 1860 tilts to the left when running. I remember the day I sold my G3 and was devistated. Little did I know at that time how much happier I would be when I got my RP190. The G3 was a good boat, but I have absolutely zero regrets selling it.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225

I'm a big fan of the new lund predator I think they look pretty sweet and are built by a reputable brand, so something to consider if you have a dealer nearby!

https://www.lundboats.com/boat-models/1870-predator/

They have a CC version of it.
    Last edited by RenegadeBassin; 03-21-2018 at 07:02 AM.
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Spitfire X7 17p
    Fortrex 80
    Helix 7 Chirp GPS G2N
    Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Helix 10 Mega DI G2N
    Dual Power Pole 8' Blades

17. Member
    Thank you guys for the responses

i am also looking hard at the Lund Predator. I think the ranger is out. Not a fan of that console!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbev13 View Post
    Thank you guys for the responses

i am also looking hard at the Lund Predator. I think the ranger is out. Not a fan of that console!
    Given some of the rumors I've been hearing lately I'd say you made a good call.

19. Member
    Well I am 90% sure I am going to go with the Lund. I believe it specs out better than the G3, and when talking with G3 if i hang poles on the back warranty is gone. Spoke with Lund and they said I am good to go with poles, it is a popular option on that boat now. I am in talks with my dealer so we will see how it shakes out. I'm going to outline my build requests below...

2018 Lund Predator 1870 Center Console
    Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 90ELPT w/ Command Thrust Gear Case
    On board 3 bank charger
    Bow trim switch
    Sponson Pods maybe? Not sure whats your input?
    Hydraulic steering
    Rod/gun locker
    Black trailer with upgraded wheels
    2- 8' Power pole blades in black
    52" Minnkota Ultrex 80lb
    Recessed Trolling motor foot pedal
    Mercury Smart craft gauge in the console
    Lowrance HDS 9 with Structure scan HD at console
    Lowrance HDS 7 no SS but linked to Console

I cant think of anything else lol! Should be a slick little rig!

20. Banned
    That's gonna be a really sweet tin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast