Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Ultrex failed 1st trip

Got a 2018 Z21 Pro package and first trip out fishing the new Ultrex ruined the day. It either runs all time or not at all. Seems like a bad momentary switch on the foot pedal. Boat is back to dealer. This sucks!

Dealer fixed the problem and said would not have to worry about it needing anymore adjustments. It has been flawless since taking back and I have been in windy conditions on all my trips. I love it.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 03-31-2018 at 10:43 PM.

2. Member
    Sometimes that switch can be adjusted yourself. Look up magnetic switch. I've adjusted mine on both ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke4351 View Post
    Got a 2018 Z21 Pro package and first trip out fishing the new Ultrex ruined the day. It either runs all time or not at all. Seems like a bad momentary switch on the foot pedal. Boat is back to dealer. This sucks!
    Just in case it happens again take a look at this thread

FYI I think there should be a sticky on this issue

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....mentary+Switch
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    I really think Minn Kota should have this BS figured out by now. I am not going to spend what I did and have to adjust a junk switch every trip.

5. Member
    I really think Minn Kota should have this BS figured out by now. I am not going to spend what I did and have to adjust a junk switch every trip.
    I want one but will not buy as hearing of way to many bugs that need to be worked out on that motor, will wait and see.

6. Member
    Won’t have to be constantly adjusted. Things are going to need adjusting and tweaking for a while. No need to drag it back to the dealer for every little thing.

7. Member
    Had the same problem with mine on my first trip. I pulled the switch out on the foot and the spring underneath wasn't set right. I put it on straight and have had zero problems with it since.
    2023 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2023 Mercury 250 ProXS

8. Banned
    I just purchased a "bullet proof" Fortrex last week for my boat. I really want, and will get an Ultrex, but I'm waiting for 2 reasons. Still waiting to make sure bugs are worked out, and waitng for price to come down a little. When i do get one, my Fortrex will be kept for a spare, since it will fit right onto Ultrex mount if needed. SO I really didn't waste much money going with the Fortrex for now.

9. Member
    This particular problem plagues the fortrex as well, it it was indeed the pedal switch.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    The two major issues with the Ultrex have both been addressed last year.

1) Sensor board in the foot pedal --- MK started with new boards in August
    2) Steering cables --- MK started with reinforced cables in the fall

As far as the pedal switch, it has been an issue with the Fortex as well, and apparently is a one time simple adjustment that you can do on your own. I am confident enough now in my Ultrex so that I just last week sold my Fortex that I had kept for back up. I had the sensor board problem and had it replaced in August. No real need to wait if you are wanting a new Ultrex. It's an amazing troller.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    The BS you speak about is minor compared to the issues with the shipping. I have had countless numbers of Troll motors brought to me because it was damaged in shipment. Something about the shipping guys for the shipper not taking their time with a dolly to move the troll motor. That is why I believe all motor that are purchased by individuals should be inspected and then after install take it out on a shake down Cruz to learn operation and address minor problems. then when the first fishing trip comes you don't lose precious fishing time trying to adjust a BS problem.

Got my Ultrex last fall - Zero problems!!

and it won't be the last......

I still enjoy controlling where my boat goes. No need to for these fancy, expensive gadgets.

14. Member
    Got my Ultrex IPilot Link last month and no problems. Also bought a Helix 10 SI MEGA to connect.......have had to send it back to Humminbird now three times which is where it is now. The last time they have agreed to send me a new Helix. Trollin motor? Works great and if if long lived, best fishing money I have ever spent.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I just purchased a "bullet proof" Fortrex last week for my boat. I really want, and will get an Ultrex, but I'm waiting for 2 reasons. Still waiting to make sure bugs are worked out, and waitng for price to come down a little. When i do get one, my Fortrex will be kept for a spare, since it will fit right onto Ultrex mount if needed. SO I really didn't waste much money going with the Fortrex for now.
    Yes you did cause the price ain't going down...
    2015 189 trx

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    and it won't be the last......

I still enjoy controlling where my boat goes. No need to for these fancy, expensive gadgets.
    Secret code for "I can't afford one."

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Yes you did cause the price ain't going down...
    If I remember correctly, I believe I read that the price actually went up 50 dollars this past January
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Man I’m a gotta have contact with the foot pedal guy but gotta say so far this has been the biggest game changer on my old Champ 202 since hydraulic steering!
    im pretty used to all the lil quirks and have dialed it in for my needs at this time of year. I have been out in open water spot locked tossing big swimbaits for striped bass and been using the constant and nav with record for trolling deps B.B. slide swimmers from the comfort of the back seat .

The real test will come in the late spring getting in tight to the bank fishing bass and bumping into bushes dipnetting threadfin.
    So I’ll see how it holds up. If it gets to hard to control in the tight stuff I’ll just throw the fortrex head back on the ultrex mount which I’ve been told will match up.

One item I’d like to see changed is a possible way to deactivate the electric steer assist.
    and just be able to use the pedal and cable.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Secret code for "I can't afford one."
    I know I can afford one plus a boat WAY better than a 2017 Tracker 175TXW with a 75 Mercury 4-Stroke. Dick.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Man I’m a gotta have contact with the foot pedal guy but gotta say so far this has been the biggest game changer on my old Champ 202 since hydraulic steering!
    im pretty used to all the lil quirks and have dialed it in for my needs at this time of year. I have been out in open water spot locked tossing big swimbaits for striped bass and been using the constant and nav with record for trolling deps B.B. slide swimmers from the comfort of the back seat .

The real test will come in the late spring getting in tight to the bank fishing bass and bumping into bushes dipnetting threadfin.
    So I’ll see how it holds up. If it gets to hard to control in the tight stuff I’ll just throw the fortrex head back on the ultrex mount which I’ve been told will match up.

One item I’d like to see changed is a possible way to deactivate the electric steer assist.
    and just be able to use the pedal and cable.
    The electric steer is not an assist. It is the way it steers. The motor turning is what moves the cables to give the footpedal movement.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast