Went to Gaston over the weekend.

And that is the end of the story.The only fish I saw is my brother snagged a 40-60lb carp. I have never seen one that big. I tried the jerk bait on points deep and shallow. I threw old faithful (spinnerbait). We tried crankbaits, shaky heads, underspins, and nothing. I talked with a few guys and they said the same thing. So we will be back in 2 weeks for a full week.

I fished mainly the upper lake, never went below Poplar creek. I tried Poplar creek, 6 pound, Great Creek and another creek I don't know the name of. I tried bluff walls, main lake points, even some shallow flats.

Yep I still suck. But it was a beautiful weekend for fishing!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

I was at Buggs for 3 days and it was pretty brutal as well.

I did catch a drum on Friday that was easily 10lbs and my brother caught one that was even bigger. It was really cool but also pretty disappointing when you’re looking for #5 and lean into something like that and then see it get up to the boat.

Judging by the Anglers Choice weights at SML it looks like I should have been there instead. I always seem to zig when I should have zagged and it’s the story of my life lol.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I went to SML last minute instead of Gaston. Dad and I caught a few 1-2 lb fish each first thing. Made a move and didn't pan out. Spent the rest of the day riding around checking things out for the Big Bass tournament.
    2008 Triton TR-196 / 200 HP Optimax

4. Member
    I was at Gaston a couple weeks ago and it was very tough then. Fishing a tournament there this coming weekend and not expecting to do much.

5. Member
    Went down to Gaston over the weekend too. Had to much to do and only got on water for couple hours. Rode around mainly but did try out a couple main lake coves I have been wanting to fish.......And nothing. Crankbait, chatterbait, shaky head and wacky worm. Not even a nibble.... didn't even see a fish in some of the clear areas.

Still enjoyed couple hours on water with the family.
    Semper Fi

6. Member
    I also went Sunday and only caught 2 . But one was 4.5 and the other 4 lbs. only thing I could get a bite on was a spinnerbait slow rolled. I talked to a guy went I was taking out and he said he caught 19 all on a drop shot around deep piers. And it was all off two piers with brush piles

7. Member
    Wow. Nice fish. Love me a spinnerbait. As far as drop shotting, I guess I need to try it a little more. thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I was at Buggs for 3 days and it was pretty brutal as well.

I did catch a drum on Friday that was easily 10lbs and my brother caught one that was even bigger. It was really cool but also pretty disappointing when you’re looking for #5 and lean into something like that and then see it get up to the boat.

Judging by the Anglers Choice weights at SML it looks like I should have been there instead. I always seem to zig when I should have zagged and it’s the story of my life lol.
    lol. I was on sml and I don't think they were on the same lake I was on. One 4.5 and a 2 lb keeper all day.

9. Member
    Weather not lookin good for this weekend.
    Semper Fi

10. Member
    No it is not. Going to have to wear my longjons!

11. Member
    Yep I think I am going to set out this weekend. I am heading to Santee next Thursday. So I need to get stuff ready.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

12. Member
    Fished Gaston last weekend also in a little club tournament with a buddy that is a pretty good stick and neither one of us had a bite ALL DAY. Guy that won it had schoolers come up by the boat and caught enough to win in 5 casts. Something was odd. Cant remember ever fishing Gaston and not even getting a bite. As said it was a nice day and I didn't break anything on the boat