Trailer is Jerking (brakes not working?)

I did not want to hijack the other thread and I have not dug into the issue as of yet, but my trailer (2012 tandem for puma) has slop in the tongue. I know the brakes are probably not working but wanted to know the general cause for this. I never saw any fluid leaking. I am guessing it is the master cylinder ( I guess that is what you call it on a trailer) is bad. What is the price for these? Is it a PIA to replace? I am leaving for Santee in 2 weeks and would like to fix it before hand but don't want to tear it down and wind up with a bunch of problems that keep me from going.

Give me your thoughts please.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Start by looking at your pads, they may be worn and too thin. when they are worn you will start to get that jerk on take off/stopping. There is a shock in there (master cylinder area)but without the pads and fluid being at the right level it cant eliminate that shock on its own. I believe you need to order Kia Sophia Pads and shims for your 2012 trailer. Double check that though.

3. Member
    I would bet your brakes are still working fine but before getting into replacing all, I would check the fluid level, bleed the brakes and add fluid as needed as well as checking the pads. Is there any excessive heat on the wheels with brakes when trailering? This may indicate your brakes are hanging and would be about the only reason id say your pads are worn down enough on a 2012 model, unless you travel ALOT with the boat. To answer your question if you have any type of mechanical ability its about a 1.5-2.5 hour job to remove, replace, wire it up for the reverse solenoid and bleed the brakes. The cylinder can be bought on BC website if you choose to go that route. Really not a bad job, but definitely easier the second time ya do it Any trailer shop would do it for probably around 100 bucks if you supply the part.

http://www.basscatstore.com/a60hydra...eactuator.aspx

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I will check the pads first
    Then go from there. I appreciate the info.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

5. Member
    Possibly damper or master cylinder got air in system

6. Member
    Yep fluid was low. Pads were fine. Could not find a leak. Filled and bled and seems to be alot better. Thanks to everyone for the help.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    FYI...I have had the same basscat jaguar for the past 17 years, and my experience has been that I have to do a complete brake system rebuild every 4 or 5 years. So, its just one of those maintenance things I plan for, just like wheel bearing maintenance (repacking, etc). Anyway, glad you got it fixed! Ben