Sea Star vs Bay Star hydralic steering

There is a considerable price difference in these 2 items and was wondering if the Bay star would be okay with a 150 hp motor. I assume that a higher HP would make a difference. I a looking at this for a 150. Any thoughts on this?

2. Member
    From what I remember when I was shopping for mine the Baystar was for smaller outboards and not recommended for high performance/bass boats. This is just what I remember and may not be totally accurate but there was a good reason I went with the Seastar.

The Baystar can handle uo to a 150HP motor but not in a bass boat application. A pontoon or a center console with a 150 could use Baystar. A high running 150 motor requires the higher pressure components of the Seastar system.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The Baystar can handle uo to a 150HP motor but not in a bass boat application. A pontoon or a center console with a 150 could use Baystar. A high running 150 motor requires the higher pressure components of the Seastar system.

5. Member
    Thanks guys

6. Member
    Something else to look into is the turning ratio. My brother put a bay star system on his tunnel hull and it turns pretty slow. He did some research afterward and found out the regular Sea Star system turns faster as the helm is a different ratio. I don’t know the exact details but would try to find them before making a decision on the two. Being able to turn quickly is a must when running creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Except it's standard equipment on a Triton 189TRX. It's only a mid 50's boat, but a bass boat none the less. If your boat is capable of mid 60's I'd want the Seastar.

I still say that was a mistake on Triton’s part.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

150 hp or 60 mph max.

10. Member
    Look for the Baystar Plus. It is between the normal Baystar and Seastar.

Baystar is 1.1 cubic inches/revolution
    Baystar Plus is 1.4
    Seastar is 1.7

11. Member
    You can check online and Ebay for UFlex systems. Many think the UFlex cylinders are superior to the Baystar and Standard Seastar cylinders.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Uflex-Hydraul...nd!28089!US!-1

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Uflex-PROTECH...oAAOSwC-taFFIa

12. Member
    I'm putting hydraulic steering in my BassCat Margay with a 150 this week.The shop heavily recommended that Seastar system. They told me that if the boat were coming out of the factory right now it would be with this system. They said "You have a 60+ MPH boat and the Baystar is not really meant for that."

I think at one time like Triton, BassCat was ok with the Baystar, but as other folks have said it's not ideal. I went with the Seastar and yes it's a decent amount of money more than Baystar but I won't try to save money where safety is concerned.

13. Banned
    All manufacturers of pontoon boats are using SeaStar on their boats requiring hydraulic steering. For the smaller engines they are using a cable steering system.

I have a baystar on my 150 powered ranger. Came from factory with it. It is right at 60mph. I can tell you once i took a corner/ turn a little sharp and the motor would not turn, chopped the throttle real quick and recovered. I was probably around 50 ish mph's when it happened. I did have and still do have some concerns using the baystar. When it comes time i will be changing over to the seastar.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!