USA Hand controlled MinnKota Maxxum 70 lb thrust

The trolling motor is a variable speed hand controlled Maxxum. It runs fine in forward but it surges/pulses heavily in reverse. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Sounds like the board. Year? S/N?

3. Member

USA

Brand new board and controller

4. Member
    New board. OK. Is this happening in the water or out? The hand control motor will sound like they are surging in reverse when not in the water. It will also sound like it will run faster in reverse than in forward. This is normal.
    A little more info would help hence why I asked the questions.

5. Member

USA

It is in the water. Runs in reverse for maybe 1 sec then stops or slows down to almost nothing then runs again and repeats.

Now if you start from 0 go to reverse very slowly. It will run OK up to about 10% or so, then starts to surge.

6. Member
    Maybe, just maybe someone has "compounded" the motor. Is the skeg lined up with the shaft? These small DC motors can be tuned for maximum efficiency by changing the relationship of the brushes to the permanent magnets. Unfortunately this efficiency is only in one direction of rotation.
    You might check the prop for a shear pin gouged in the prop.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    It is in the water. Runs in reverse for maybe 1 sec then stops or slows down to almost nothing then runs again and repeats.

Now if you start from 0 go to reverse very slowly. It will run OK up to about 10% or so, then starts to surge.
    You say it runs correctly in forward?
    Here is what i would do. Take cover off the head where the board is and disconnect the wires to the motor. They are the solid red and black wires next to each other. Swap the wires on the board. This will make the motor run in reverse when in forward and vise versa. Did the problem follow the swap? if so then Bad board. If not then you have an issue with the motor. When you do this also remove the prop.

8. Member

USA

It has happened after the swap. The factory also said that it might be the case, but didn't think so. But it was not impossible to happen.
    I doubt they would replace it for free. I will have to call again.

9. Member
    It has happened after the swap. The factory also said that it might be the case, but didn't think so. But it was not impossible to happen.
    Was this a new motor? If so use caution if you disconnect wiring if it's under warranty.

10. Member
    When you swap the wires to the motor, you said it happen after the swap. Was it in the same direction of the handle(Reverse Normally) or did it start happening in forward?
    If it happened in the same direction(reverse) then it is most likely the board.